1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Floods

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smoothnewt, Nov 14, 2019.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

What a dreadful situation that just seems to go on and on. I feel so sorry for all those whose homes have been rendered uninhabitable.
    I am so glad Johnson was given such a rough ride yesterday when he finally deigned to show up. Tells you everything you need to know about the calibre of the man - so unfit to be our PM. Corbyn was no doubt correct in suggesting a swifter response would have resulted had the floods been in Surrey.
    And all that money wasted on Brexit preparations that could have been used on developing flood defences, instead of which these have been scaled down in recent years.
    What a mess this country is in!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

border_walker and nomad like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

so am I

TBH, I don't think any amount of flood defenses are going to protect absolutely

smoothnewt likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

nomad likes this.
  5. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

A mess indeed. I have noticed huge amounts of foliage growing out of drains which appears to go uncleared year after year. I presume this is due to cuts in council spending. A false economy, in my opinion.

6. smoothnewt

Agreed. But I do believe that everything that could be done to minimise risk should be done - and as a priority.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How do other countries manage their rivers? Holland, Belgium, Denmark, N France? Scandinavia?

Is dredging more routine?
    Is flooding less common?
    Are there greater restrictions on building on flood plains?
    Is there less destruction of habitat upstream?
    Is there less agriculture upstream?

Come on. Let's look for examples of good practice. Where else in the UK gets similar rainfall but doesn't seem to suffer to the same extent? Are the Somerset Levels now "fixed"?

towncryer and Corvuscorax like this.
  8. Corvuscorax

the Somerset levels will never be "fixed"

much of the Somerset levels is flood plain.

9. smoothnewt

I’m not questioning the actual sums of money involved. I’m criticising his choice of response to the crisis. I reckon Corbyn is right in suggesting that Surrey would have prompted a quicker visit by Johnson as it is just down the road from Westminster and not in The North - which is outside his natural environment. The fact that Corbyn had to urge him to convene an emergency cabinet meeting also speaks volumes. I’m not a fan of Corbyn but at least the man has shown the way where the floods are concerned.

bombaysapphire and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Venice yesterday morning (albeit the problems there are tidal as well as rivers, but the EU and the Italians have wasted €5.5 billion on flood defences in Venice which don't work because they are years behind schedule and still unfinished - and many think they never will work due to rising sea levels):

upload_2019-11-14_8-32-16.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    nomad likes this.
  11. smoothnewt

Oddly enough I was at a book launch last week and was talking to a very nice chap who is Head of Global Conservation at the RSPB. We were talking about the wetlands in Norfolk at one point, which he said are seriously under threat and that all kinds of engineering is going on to protect them. He reckoned that despite this they might well not survive beyond 2040. He also set that against the context of the Netherlands, where far far more resources, efforts and technology are currently in play to protect the country going forward. It was a fairly depressing conversation where the UK’s prognosis is concerned.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Virtually anywhere can flood though. We don't usually have flooding issues as we are a long way from any body of water but we had a biblical rainstorm a couple of years ago and the drains just couldn't cope. Several houses in our road were flooded by water backing up and overflowing the toilet.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..plus Venice was built on coastal marshland.

14. Corvuscorax

why, what has he done? just twisted the situation to try and take political advantage, nothing else. He is good at that

15. Corvuscorax

well, obviously!

16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The floods were in Surrey and Berkshire in February 2014. The response was not much different. Cameron was criticised for not going to see them more promptly. Most people thought that politicians grand-standing events such as floods for photo calls just get in the way of those trying to clear the mess. (Photo below is of part of the 2014 Thames floods)

upload_2019-11-14_9-8-11.jpeg

moonpenny likes this.
  17. smoothnewt

I think his implication was that if we want the eastern coastal areas of the UK to survive, we need to start copying what the Dutch are doing.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If Johnson had turned up more quickly, it would have made no material difference other than better PR.

Jesmond12 and florian gassmann like this.
  19. smoothnewt

That certainly didn't seem to be the case in Yorkshire yesterday, where he was heavily criticised for the slow response - locals having to sort themselves out before the army were called in.

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We are experiencing extremes, as are other parts of the world. The same cries of Something Must Be Done accompany the fires in California, plus "if they'd been in DC, td be a national emergency".

Higher precipitation in our climate is a direct result of warmer oceans. There are other threads as to what caused them to warm and what might be done about it, but this may well become the New Normal. What we have at present in the wsy of defences is clearly inadequate, if we're having to manage flooding every year in places that got it maybe once a decade. The Brexit money is already spent. How about we scrap the third runway and HS2 and use that money to improve drainage and protection?

Nellyfuf2 and smoothnewt like this.