1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The five most pretentious albums of all time...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Established commenter

[​IMG]
    Pictures at an Exhibition .. Emerson, Lake and Palmer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Anything by Yes.

Morninglover likes this.
  3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Small Faces, Ogden Nut Gone Flake.

First pressings came in a circular cover sleeve, so that they rolled off the shelves in shops. Few original sleeves survived on account of this design.

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Tangerine Dream 1967 to 70 with their first studio pressing, "electronic meditations", comes a close second. Outdoor live improvisations were 'interesting '.

nomad likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" 1971.

[​IMG]

The original cover artwork, conceived by that monumental ****** Andy Warhol showed a sexually suggestive picture of a man in tight jeans complete with a fully working zipper that opened to reveal a pair of underwear. Owing to the damage caused by the zipper to the vinyl disc, and the expense in producing the unusual cover, later re-issues featured just the outer photograph of the jeans.

Hustler "Play Loud" 1975.

[​IMG]

Otherwise a great album, but spoiled by the fact that it was recorded at such a high amplitude level that it needed at least 25p worth of coins on the turntable pickup arm to stop it jumping.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Kandahar likes this.
  6. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

Anything by Sting...

friedgreentomatoes and hamcguin like this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

On the subject of packaging,

Metal Box by PiL.

[​IMG]

3 discs in a close fitting metal cover separated by sheets of paper, removing the records from the packaging often led to scratches and other damage, about 10 mins of music per side meant taking them out and putting back in again was a frequent occurrence.

The Return of the Durutti Column.

[​IMG]

Coarse sandpaper sleeves designed to damage the covers of other records placed next to it.

NoseyMatronType and nomad like this.
  8. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

I remember this one well. I hope that collectors had the good sense to put this one in a plastic wallet, otherwise withdrawing the copy from a stack would result in significant erosion of neighbouring LPs.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Wow, by spooky coincidence I got that album delivered this very afternoon! Only the CD version from Music Magpie though, so no zippers:rolleyes:

nomad likes this.
  10. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Established commenter

That's what Jung et al called synchronicity!

colpee likes this.
  11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Any and all prog rock
    Any five of U2's execrable output.

LiamD and NoseyMatronType like this.
  12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Keeping an open mind as always.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I actually quite like Pictures at an Exhibition - I like the real version as well.

Kandahar and nomad like this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I agree about the ELP version.

The 'real' version? Mussorgsky wrote Pictures at an Exhibition as a site of piano pieces. Nice, but not as good as the adaptation for full orchestra by Ravel.

nizebaby and peter12171 like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Surely you dont include PFM.

Kandahar and artboyusa like this.
  16. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What do you mean by "pretentious"? Isn't that just another way of saying "ambitious"? I'm not gonna knock any artist for wanting to push their talent as far as they can.
    That said, I really could have done without anything by Genesis, any Jethro Tull album after the first three or any John and Yoko album.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Indeed and so endeth the thread.

wayside34 likes this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is amusing - there have been many calls for the sound engineer who mutes Yoko's microphone to be awarded. Chuck Berry's face when she first goes off on one is pure gold, too:

Kandahar and artboyusa like this.
  19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yoko Ono was the Megan Markle of Wallis Simpsons.

Kandahar and dumpty like this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I thought Pictures was the best of their albums, mind you it was a pretty low bar!