1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The first wasp

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, Mar 26, 2011.

1. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Not the first wasp in the whole history of creation, nor even the first wasp I have ever encountered, but the first one of the season.

Where do vespidae go in winter? and why don't they just bloody stay there?

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

You are spot on. Queens looking to set up a new hive, so the *** can get you later in the year.

3. I hate killing any type of wildlife but I make an exception for Queen wasps - I think that for each one I despatch it's one less nest full of them.
    I'm seriously considering hypnotherapy to get over my wasp phobia. I'm fed up of them spoiling the summers for me. I need to "man up" really.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

could you not hypnotise the wasps instead?

5. Um, I hadn't thought of that.
    Don't think it'd work - I literally go into a blind panic if I even see a wasp so would fail miserably as a hypnotist for them[​IMG]

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

In ecological terms in a non-human environment they have their place. Unfortunately once they get into our environment they get into the "vermin" category as do mice, rats and cockroaches. As a biologist I can appreciate their place in nature, but you do NOT want one of them setting up a hive in your house. Think of them as like miniature versions of the nasty alien queen that Sigourney Weaver had to sort out.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We found a wasps' nest in a bush between our house and the house next door one year. The neighbour called in a pest control expert who sprayed it, then told us to keep all our doors and windows closed as the wasps would be a little peeved by this and attack all and sundry.
    After a few days we cut the nest out of the bush. I thought it might be something that would interest my daughter's primary school class so I gave it to my daughter to give to her teacher. I gather she was horrified by it.

8. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

I used to work in orchards regularly as a student - very much recommended for getting over wasps. There are thousands of the sods, and when they get on the fermenting dumped apples they stagger around, slurring their buzzing like Govan pub-goers during a happy-month. Anyway, they sting you and you kill them back - best way is just to punch them on the head when they settle.
    I am now noted for my insouciance around wasps, though I do get stung from time to time.

9. Haven't seen any wasps so far but I've seen loads of enormous, fat bumble bees in the last 2 weeks. They seem even bigger than the bumper crop we had last year!

10. My Granddad delights in getting rid of wasp nests. I remember one year, he was spotted by a rather concerned neighbour with a can of my Gran's hairspray, a shovel and some fly spray battering a hedge black and blue! Some people just have no fear, unfortunately (maybe?) those genes have not been passed down to me.

11. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Come to think of it, as children we used to block off wasp-nests. They used to nest in (clay?) soil verges and banks down a local lane. We'd stick fine fish netting over the holes and then seal them up. The returning wasps always got annoyed and I remember a friend fleeing down the lane like in a cartoon.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I swatted one in my house at least two months ago. Apparently the fertilised queens hibernate in curtains and such like then emerge when it warms up to set up a new colony.
    The best time to get rid of wasp nests is at night when they're all tucked up in waspy bed. Just fire a load of that white ant/wasp/bug powder down the entrance then do a Scooby Doo exit. Within a few days it's curtains - and I don't mean of the hibernating variety either.

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm normally very kind to living things of all shapes and sizes, but insects that can kill like wasps and mosquitos get no mercy.

14. choochoo

choochoo New commenter

Now the mosquito is a different matter entirely........ I do hate those !

15. A phobia is an irrational fear. Fear of wasps is entirely rational IMO, the evil little bostards sting without provocation and some species lay their eggs in innocent creatures and they inhabit any part of a house left open to them (we had five nests in one loft) and appear as if from another dimension the moment food is prepared or picnic baskets opened and you might have gathered by now that I hate them too. Nothing is as useless and unpleasant with the possible exception of anopheline mosquitoes and komodo dragons.
    Can someone please remind me of their place in the food chain or how they do any good at all?
    What do they prey upon that is not eaten or killed just as efficiently by something else?