1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The first lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by Bowshock, Jun 30, 2015.

1. I have an interview for a Physics PGCE soon. Part of that interview process is a 5 minute presentation that would be "an ideal first lesson as a trainee" and "it should be based on an exciting facet of the science curriculum and engaging to the pupils". It also asks that I "guide them through the lesson, explaining what the pupils will be doing ad what I will be doing".

First of all that seems an impossible task. If I could do a lesson plan then I would be a teacher and not a trainee!

It also seems to contain a contradiction. The "ideal" first lesson would be an overview of science and about safety but not something directly related to any specific point of the curriculum. To do anything exciting and engaging I would have to first make sure that they have gone through the safety part. So what would you do ignore the first lesson part and just cover an exciting demonstration or ignore the exciting part and meet the "ideal first lesson" requirement.

So far what I have is a lesson plan based on safety and an overview. So I have a faked display of a lab workbench which, in groups, they examine to identify the hazards. Other groups are brainstorming what they know about physics, chemistry, biology. During the lesson they rotate around the activities and then homework is to create a set of rules for the lab. The next lesson starts by creating a set of rules based on their homework results and using their brain storm sheets to introduce the first specific topic.

That's OK and from talking to science teachers they all said lesson one has to cover safety, but it doesn't cover the "engaging and exciting" requirement.

Suggestions?

2. TwoShanks

TwoShanks New commenter

Two things that spring to mind here:

1. "An ideal first lesson as a trainee" doesn't imply "An ideal first lesson for Year 7 students in Science". The rest of the quote implies it would be your ideal first lesson with a group, with your choice of topic (and age group?). Unless there is more information to clarify, I think your interpretation of the requirement is rather too narrow. I would treat it as an open prompt to choose a topic you find most interesting from the national curriculum and plan around that.

2. Assuming your interpretation is correct, for an exciting and engaging introduction to safety, you could show a demonstration (or video) of something interesting and ask students to identify all the safety precautions being taken (and the reasons for them). As an extension you might consider getting students to write safety precautions based on an experiment plan.