1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The first day!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by becka89, Aug 15, 2011.

1. becka89

becka89 New commenter

Okay I know there have probably been numerous posts about this but what on earth do I do on the first day??

I am an NQT starting in a year 1 class, haven't met them yet as the reception is on a different site. The other teacher is year 1 is planning on getting stuck in but I am nervous! On placement we spend a day observing before we tend to teach and now I can't do that I am starting to wonder what I can do!

Feel a bit silly after rereading this.....

2. becka89

becka89 New commenter

Okay I know there have probably been numerous posts about this but what on earth do I do on the first day??

I am an NQT starting in a year 1 class, haven't met them yet as the reception is on a different site. The other teacher is year 1 is planning on getting stuck in but I am nervous! On placement we spend a day observing before we tend to teach and now I can't do that I am starting to wonder what I can do!

Feel a bit silly after rereading this.....

3. Just wondered if you'd seen this on Primary?
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/510065.aspx
    [​IMG]

4. I can't really help because I'm secondary but wanted to reassure you that this is normal. I was perfectly relaxed about the second, third, fourth lessons with each class and knew exactly where I was going with the material but was terrified of how to introduce myself to classes - after all I'd never introduced myself as a student, the class teacher always did it for me!

Looking back, I can't even remember what I said/did and I bet the pupils don't either so I wouldn't get too wound up about it.

As you have Year 1, the pupils were presumably at the school in reception and so the school should have last year's school photos. I'd really recommend finding these photos and doing your best to learn who each child is. I'd imagine that you want to do some getting to know you games anyway but it's very handy to know names from the start when they walk in the classroom. It's very difficult to do anything if you don't know someone's name! It also gives you an air immediately of being in charge.

Last year I also used a version of 'I went shopping' (just for juniors, I think Year 10 and up would be insulted by me treating them like children!). I don't know whether it would be too difficult for Year 1 to remember everything but you go around the class and every child says their name and an interesting fact about themselves. So someone would say "I am Helen and I have a dog called Snowy" and then the next person would say "This is Helen and she has a dog called Snowy and I am James and I love playing football with my big brother" and then you'd get "This is Helen and she has a dog called Snowy, this is James and he loves playing football with his big brother and I am Tom and my Granny lives in Spain" etc. The repetition will help you cement the names in your head and the fact means that you know something about that child immediately which you can pull out of the bag again at a later date so that they feel you're really interested in them.

Hope that has helped a little. Like I said though, I'm not primary so I imagine other people will have much better advice!

5. becka89

becka89 New commenter

I hadn't Suze, thank you :)

6. I had year 1/2 for my nqt - panicked also!
    Honestly after the first 5 minutes you wonder what you made such a fuss about - i felt physically ill for weeks before hand.
    You'll be fine!
    Just smile - they'll be as scared as you!!!

If you struggle for activities/planning/advice i am more than willing to help!
    (although im only in my third year of teaching and now in year 3 - i still feel like im finding my feet after a year in 1/2 and 2 terms in reception and now y3 im finally in a permenant job!)

Best of Luck!!!!