1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The First Day Back at School Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I was in with the same children I've been in with since schools closed, so not much difference, other than being in a different room.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. fraisier

fraisier Lead commenter

It was largely reported in the British media two weeks ago as 70 cases but it was in fact 70 schools which closed, the number of cases was only about 20-odd cases I seem to remember. That's 20 out of 1.5m pupils and 40,000 schools (that opened on May 11th, more opened a week later and another couple of thousands tomorrow), just to put things in perspective, and most originated outside schools.

I don't know exactly where the mistake originated from but probably from the very source, i.e the gvt itself (wouldn't be their first communication c.ock-up during this C-19 crisis), then the news was taken up by most French media outlets who therefore mistakenly announced 70 cases before correcting it a few hours later (this media rat race to be the first news outlet to announce something and “share a story” is leading to mistakes being made and ultimately confusion) when the Education minister himself corrected it.

Such as here below in the Libération daily, who first announced 70 schools at 4.30pm on its website then corrected it to 70 cases two hours later:

[Article mis à jour à 18h30 : le ministre a précisé lors de son déplacement dans l’Eure qu’il ne s’agissait pas de 70 cas mais de 70 écoles qui ont fermé en raison du coronavirus.]
    Gist of translation: [...] article updated at 6.30pm after the Education minister clarified that it wasn’t 70 cases but 70 schools which closed due to Coronavirus.

However the update or correction, call it what you will, wasn’t picked up by many foreign media because, well, that’s the age we live in, une nouvelle chasse l’autre, one piece of news quickly replaces another one kind of thing and even the faulty media outlet in question corrects their mistake many people don’t necessarily take notice, especially if it’s foreign news, people have registered the first announcement and have moved on to something else and the (accidental) piece of “fake news” as it were remains.

And as Florian pointed out, the Educ. minister said that most cases originated outside school. (Which makes sense I suppose as these cases were detected circa 16th-17th May, so only 5-6 days after the inception of déconfinement in France on May 11th, so C-19 incubation period would that at the very least the origin of half of these new cases wasn’t school.)

Just to clarify then, it was 70 nursery & primary schools (out of just 40,000 nursery/primary which reopened on May 11th – and another 4,000+ 11-15 comprehensive schools who "de-lockdowned" on May 18th, about 2 million pupils in total), and the vast majority of these schools didn’t personally register any case but were closed as a precautionary measure (by the generally super cautious town or city mayor, as s.he’s legally liable, usually after consultation with the Rectorat - LEA - and a few other people in authority), as they were in a zone/town where a new case had been identified, either pupil or staff/adult connected to the school in one capacity or another.

For instance, the 24 schools of the town of Sens (Burgundy) were closed after only 2 cases (staff members) had been detected, or suspected, in 1 school, so the mayor decided to shut the other 23 schools there shut out of safety. The mayor just followed the 60-page protocol that the gvt had sent to all schools’ heads, LEAs and municipalities at the end of April. In Roubaix, near Lille, 7 schools shut after 2 cases were detected etc.

Le Figaro: Coronavirus : 70 écoles concernées, annonce [Education minister] Jean-Michel Blanquer
    Le nombre de cas de Covid-19 est par ailleurs peu élevé, et la fermeture de certaines écoles relève de la mesure de précaution. À Roubaix (Nord), sept établissement ont été fermés après la découverte d'un cas de Covid-19. Idem à Sens (Yonne), où 24 écoles ont fermé mais où l'on ne compte qu'un seul cas.

Le Monde: Coronavirus : soixante-dix écoles fermées pour des cas avérés ou suspectés de Covid-19

Since then, all these schools have reopened AFAIK.

A few new ones shut last week, as per this L’Express article that lists 5 schools that shut last week (for either confirmed case or suspected), in all of them but one it was an adult (staff or council worker that’d done some work).

So, all in all, you really are talking a micro % here, as about 43,000 are currently open in France, with another couple of thousands reopening tomorrow in the Green Zone (most of France): Le ministre de l'Education nationale Jean-Michel Blanquer annoncé ce jeudi 28 mai que les collèges et lycées des zones vertes rouvriront à partir du mardi 2 juin.

dumpty likes this.
  3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

Were there?

4. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

We had a zoom training day and went through the risk assessment. Kids back Weds. I have to say I was quite impressed with the preparation and planning. We have even been given visors!

This is my concern. How are we to know what's driving any increase in infections if so many variables have been changed at once?

gainly likes this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

One of my local primary schools has now closed completely today as a staff member has tested positive.

6. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Hi Snooty

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

how did he keep 5 children socially distanced? Thats 10 m of pavement he had to supervise, all the way to school? Or did he walk them there one by one?

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

9. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

My poor grammar!

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I agree with this. Before the virus raised its head, and long before lockdown, at least 3 of the 29 children in my class were suffering from undiagnosed but fairly obvious anxiety states which we were working on with one-to one input with varying degrees of success.

Goodness knows what they will be like coming back to school now.

11. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Apparently a primary school in Derby has closed after seven of its staff tested positive for coronavirus. :eek: It had been open to key worker and vulnerable children from other schools. The staff have only mild symptoms, thankfully, and there are no reports of children or parents displaying symptoms.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/ne...66.682584650.1590993853-1164233559.1582876434

agathamorse likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The longer this goes on the worse it will get.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, that's how it works. Amazingly, so soon after we've seen it, people seem to think this virus will behave differently now. That's people for you.

agathamorse and baitranger like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A primary school in Derbyshire has just closed after 7 members of staff tested positive for Coronavirus.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Second spike predicted for September

agathamorse likes this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Pretty decent chances they went to school previously infected.

It was unhelpful the government did not think perhaps testing all teachers before they went back would be beneficial to all.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I doubt they would have been capable of organizing that.

...and now the kids and other staff have been exposed.

agathamorse and dumpty like this.