1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The First Day Back at School Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Jun 1, 2020.

1. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Not here they won't.
    The council said it is not safe for schools to reopen.
    Elsewhere...most parents are still wfh-even the ones who do work-as instructed by Boris! Other teachers tell me only about half will consider sending their children in.
    The keyworkers will go in to work, but their children might have been in all the time.

We won't know how things have gone at 3.30-it will take a while to see if a lot more people die or are sick as a result of this, or whether it triggers another lockdown, causing misery for all.

How long was it before France reported an outbreak of 70 cases linked to schools reopening?

EmanuelShadrack and idlp56 like this.
  2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I'd thought the NEU was against returning. Surely many of you are NEU, so how can schools open without all their NEU teachers?

3. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

We had noticeably more key worker kids in today.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The French education minister said that almost all of the 70 cases originated outside school rather than being due to the schools reopening and said that 70 is a very small proportion of the 1,400,000 schoolchildren who had gone back. Obviously, though, that will still worry some.

fraisier likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

We're not going back till 15th now - date has been postponed twice. In all next week to make sure everything is ready. Parents are being asked if their child is coming back and bubbles will be created. They won't be able to change their minds on day 2 - can contact school and say they would now like their child to return, but will have to wait until there are enough for another 'bubble'.

That's the plan at the moment - could change before 15th.

Sundaytrekker and chelsea2 like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We're due back on the 15th but I'm not holding my breath.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

ours start coming in on staggered year group starts on thursday. i'm now in full time with the KW kids who ave been there all along.
    our HT gave parents a deadline to say whether they wanted their child in or not. after that, we won't add any more. we have no room for more bubbles.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We are doing much the same.

9. gainly

gainly Star commenter

With social distancing largely breaking down and some shops and other places reopening as well as some schools, it will be very hard to attribute increases in infections to any particular cause.

There is a primary school at the end of my road. Either they didn't open today or if they did no pupils came in.

10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Not everyone lives in a middle class area doing middle-class jobs.

newposter likes this.
  11. idlp56

idlp56 New commenter

Went better than I had anticipated, although I think it is too soon. Small groups, good social distancing by most. Low numbers in each bubble, smallest 4, largest 10. Staggered start and home time worked well. Watch this space ...

rararasputin likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Schools will cope because we will be organized.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

agathamorse and Laphroig like this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

450+ new deaths today.

We aren't in the position France were in.

#madness

agathamorse, jubilee and Laphroig like this.
  15. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

How very sensible. Not so with ours. We’ve been told to arrange for full capacity as others may eventually drift back in. As you say this makes it very hard. But then we’ve had the sam issues with Key Worker kids- not knowing from one day to the next who might turn up!

our Key Worker children are growing. I don’t understand this. Surely, if you are a KW you would have needed the provision long before now? Some expansion to be expected as we eventually succeeded in getting some of the vulnerable in, but more KW kids I can’t understand.

agathamorse and Lidnod like this.
  16. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

You can have a keyworker place if only one parent is a keyworker. So either the other parent has been told they have to go back to work or they have decided they have had enough of them at home

agathamorse, jubilee and rararasputin like this.
  17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We set a cut off point before half term, anyone after that has had to go on a waiting list. We’ve had a few not return today and they’ve been told they have lost their place. We have no room for anyone else. If we kept spare spaces just in case someone changed their mind we would have only been able to take Reception and Key workers. As it is, we have Reception, 1/6 and keyworkers in.

18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

anyone not on today's list ain't coming in.

19. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

[​IMG]

Headteacher being interviewed on the six o'clock news about today.... look at the books!

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The long term impact of this is actually very worrying. Parents have, understandably, been telling children that they've been keeping them at home to keep them safe (whereas it's actually to keep their grandparents and family members with health issues, safe).

It's not a big leap for any child to come to the conclusion that school is dangerous.

I think it's a real danger that a lot of children will find it very hard to come back to school, even when they are able to and it's safe to.