1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by djhappy, Jul 6, 2019.

1. djhappy

djhappy New commenter

I am now certain that I am going at the end of the 2020 academic year. As a senior leader with a responsibility for a core department, and more than 30 years (mostly leadership), this is a new experience. How do you approach this final year - apart from professionally of course? And when should you let your school know of your intentions?

2. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Good decision @djhappy. You should find your final year easier because each milestone is 'the last time'. It helps.

In terms of notice - I resigned at the beginning of September (to leave at Easter). I was a HT and wanted to give the Governors as much notice as possible.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Don't tell them right at the beginning of the year - you'll get demob happy too soon and they'll start to overlook you to early. Keep your powder dry for a term at least. Maybe January, or Feb half term. At the moment it's just your private business.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  4. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Professionally, you will find that , even though you may be gritting your teeth and keeping up the work rate, others will tend to start to write you off..not necessarily in a bad way, but they will know that the normal pressures and levers don't apply to you. I let it be known two terms ahead of time that, ' barring unforeseen circumstances ' , it was my intention to retire. I let my department know first. I wrote my resignation letter at the end of August for a departure at the end of December.The SLT definitely soft pedalled during that last term. Psychologically, I found it good to be open . Unless you are some kind of control freak, you can gradually let go and everybody accepts that you are winding down , or 'succession planning'. It gives you plenty of time to plan your first year or so of retirement.

5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I broadly agree. The year will seem interminable. However, being overlooked is often preferable to being micro-managed. You won't be there to be held accountable for next year's results. No more performance management! Sounds good, doesn't it?

6. Gainingcontrol

Gainingcontrol New commenter

I let staff know as soon as my retirement was finalised. The pressure was then off me and my experience was more appreciated as concerns about succession took over. It was nice to witness the flurry of activity as posts of responsibility were advertised and filled. The four newly appointed replacements were then keen to shadow me and take advice. It was nice to leave feeling appreciated and to help younger teachers begin the next stage of their careers.

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

As it should be.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I made the decision early November and told HoF/HT informally. None of them were falling over to find out why I was leaving 3 years short of 60 (HoF knows that my household is not particularly well off) or were begging for me to reconsider.
    The year felt like a long death but every time I had regrets,something happened that made me glad I would not be coming back.
    We got a new HT in January,someone who knew me as he had been a member of the SMT at the school before, and the great "I'm all about communication and people" man did not bother finding why I was leaving early either.
    So we all played the polite game right to the end and I received my bouquet of flowers,said thank you and left.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  9. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

In my opinion the degree of professional respect for a colleague who is rich in experience has disappeared in recent years like ice in the sun. Prior to my early retirement - after thirty seven years service- I held a senior position with responsibility for behaviour management in a large secondary school and thought I was making a valuable contribution; so imagine my surprise when I discovered that I was being replaced by a member of support staff, and in the job advert potential candidates were asked to outline how they would 'move things forward'. I was only a number......but I remember thinking as I was driving from school for the last time - 'he who laughs last laughs longest'...!! I'm 59 and I love my life.....great times :)

bevdex, 1970devon, lindenlea and 3 others like this.