1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Jesmond12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Yep, Jesmond, still your call till August 31st.

I remember discussing with Chair of Gov that I would not attend late out of hours on my own. You must consider your own safety first.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Grrr. :rolleyes:
    Roll on Sept 1st indeed.

3. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I have posted today on the HT forum about this - having been called out this week at 3.30 am due to Site Manager holiday. I was then called out 2 days later but was asleep in my Scarborough hotel room (I obviously did not respond to this!). It's one of the worst aspects of being a HT and I will look at entering into a contract with a company who will respond for you when I go back because I don't think the Site Manager should have to respond either.

After 31st August you can relax @Jesmond12!

4. Startedin82

My Site Manager is in India so I didn't phone him!

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was really looking forward to Monday and a lie in with the thought of everyone going back to work.

However, I have managed to secure a part time job with a local car dealership delivering cars and so I will be up early on Monday morning to go to a new job as I have my first delivery!

6. Startedin82

At least you're not having to conduct that initial staff meeting - setting the scene for the year, when shall we do the Harvest Festival? etc etc etc!

Enjoy!

7. Lara mfl 05

But far less stressful than being a Head and enable you to have a 'wind-down' to retirement.;)

Startedin82 and Jesmond12 like this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Sounds like a brilliant little part time job and you'll probably get to drive some high end motors you couldn't afford yourself. Er... hang on, you were SLT so expense is probably no object.

How do you get home after you've delivered the car? Public transport?

Startedin82 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The garage are really good and they have booked a hire car for me which I drive back to the garage and leave it there.

I did look at some trade plate driving jobs but you have to make your own way home which I wasn't keen on.

10. Lara mfl 05

First day of that 'new life' Jesmond.:D

Startedin82 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Yes Lara and it feels wonderful. I no longer have any responsibilities for school, staff and worrying what is going to happen next. My new avatar sums up exactly how I feel. My blood pressure has returned to normal and I am looking forward to going on holiday on 11th.

At midnight last night I had a celebratory whiskey:D

12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Great feeling, isn't it? Love the avatar, wish I'd seen it first!

Now you have choices. You can stay away from education doing jobs like you've found (sounds great) or dip your toe back in on your own terms without those responsibilities.

No more call outs, appraisal meetings, results analysis, worry about Ofsted etc etc.

Enjoy!

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Last day today after nearly 30 years in the same school. Felt a bit 'all over the place' this morning in the run up to the break time farewell speech - touches of panic, the little tear, and a sicky feeling in the stomach. Did the leavers things which filled the time for the first couple of lessons, classes on exam leave. Handed in keys to caretaker, laptop to computing technician, ID badge to line manager at the leaver's interview. Basically ticking the boxes on the sheet - work up to date, passwords for files, anything to be passed on.

Held it together through my leaving speech, got the jokes out OK and successfully ribbed selected colleagues. Even the anecdotes from 20+ years ago went down well. Brought the mood down a bit when I got round to explaining my reasons for leaving - the changes to my subject and the new exams and the change in school culture from when I started - I'd hit the wall, I'd given all I could but still felt the kids deserved better than I was giving.

Finished on a high note by declaring the beginning of a new life following my interests, activities, new hobbies and travel - even the possibility of a new job. Shook hands with men, kissed ladies farewell.

Had to babysit some Y11 students not doing an exam for the next period. They were revising for my exam this afternoon. Some even asked for some last minute help. 12 O'clock bell, students depart, some even wished me a happy retirement. I was touched that some of them cared. No presents though.

Shook hands with my dear colleague in the department, took a last look around my room, down the stairs and through the gate. No looking back. No regrets.

14. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Good for you @Shedman and I wish you the very best of luck in the next chapter of your life.

Shedman and Startedin82 like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Thank you for your good wishes Ezzie. I handed in my resignation in January 2017 to leave in July and then they wanted me to stay on part time so they could wind up my speciality so I've been looking forward to this day for a good while. Feel a bit as though I've been cast adrift without the routine of getting up and going to work but am determined to make this stage of my life worthwhile and meaningful either through a little part time job, voluntary work or getting involved in some fantastic hobbies I've yet to discover.

Ezzie likes this.
  16. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Welcome to the ex-teachers club @Shedman ! Thanks for sharing your experience. I really appreciated it. Now is the time to create your own routine and fill it with activities that get you out and about and meeting people. Part time / seasonal jobs as well as interest groups will gradually accrue. Say yes to everything and try things out. You now have the time to try that sport, join that group, learn that instrument/language, read that book. You now have the money and time to travel off-season, to eat out in that sunny pub garden and to have a few midweek drinks. I have found retirement liberating and I hope you do too!

17. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Oh...and don't worry about making your life meaningful and worthwhile. Just enjoy it! You have paid your dues by working in teaching

frangipani123 likes this.