1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Jesmond12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

How is it today, Jesmond? I hope you get through the speeches tomorrow ok and have a lovely send off.

frangipani123 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Today has been mainly good we had a lovely Y6 leavers assembly.

However a lovely parent had decided to make a complaint about me as she didn't like my attitude when I spoke to her a couple of days ago.

However I am no longer worrying about things like that anymore and the lovely cards and messages from the happy silent majority more than make up for it.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow but it will also be a sad day as well:oops::D

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

There's no getting away from it, it's a big day.

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

greatescape3-061315.gif

So close now you can see the hills....

5. pontypwl

pontypwl New commenter

Had a lovely buffet lunch with the department today, all the more special as there will be two of us retiring tomorrow, and one other finishing a short term contract. I'd done the speech for the teacher who had been with us for a term then, as I finished my speech for the other retiree, I noticed some tears. That was it, floods of tears everywhere, and when it came to my turn, not a dry eye in the room. I'd convinced myself that i'd not be emotional but, what the heck.

Anyway, two lessons and an assembly to go. After today's events, I'm confident I can hold it together and focus on the positives of retirement tomorrow and greet everyone with a happy face. This made easier following a really great congratulary email from a previous head (that's the plan anyway ).

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

And from me too. Not long now!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. pontypwl

pontypwl New commenter

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I got to 11.00am, then the emotions kicked in. All I could do was hug everyone; I couldn't speak... I really hate not being in control, but after 39 years leaving brought a tear, or few, to the eye. Memories of staff and students from four different schools came flooding in. A great day, I wouldn't change it and even more memories...

10. pontypwl

pontypwl New commenter

I hope you had as enjoyable, and memorable, day as I did Jesmond. Best wishes for your retirement. I start mine on Sunday with a cycling trip to the Netherlands, then Sicily in September.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And by now that 21 mins and 24 secs must have passed

. . . . . and you are now . . . RETIRED! :D :) :D

Jesmond12, marlin and Sundaytrekker like this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I hope you all enjoyed your final day. By now you should be home having a well earned beverage. I remember immense relief and elation but quite a few swings in mood over the next week or two. Take things a day at a time and relax. After a long career it takes time to adjust. Keep posting on TES. You have more time now! Best wishes.

Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  13. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck Jesmond.
    Happy retirement!

Alldone, Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  14. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Happy Retirement-it's a great feeling!!:D:D:D

Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  15. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

tumblr_n4e10089kV1s3ulybo3_250.gif

Wishing you a happy retirement.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My work on this thread is now done:p

17. headteacher85

headteacher85 New commenter

Happy Retirement !
    I now have a count down timer . I intend to go July 2018(20th) ! Less than a year now

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I hope that you will post regular updates:p:p

19. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

This has been a fun and thought provoking thread. Thanks Jesmond12 and have a great retirement.

20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

School doesn't want to let me go.

The site officer is on holiday and last night around 10.30pm I got a recorded message on my phone to say that the burglar alarm had been activated. As key holder it was still my responsibility so I had to drive to school and have a look around. Bit scary at 11.00pm. I had managed to get the site officer on the phone and he stayed on the line as I had a look around.

The alarm is faulty so I will need to call the engineer out today. Roll on 1st September!

Startedin82 and Sundaytrekker like this.