1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Jesmond12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No, I'm taking my teaching pension from 1st September. My part time earnings and my pension do not exceed my salary figure they base my pension on so I just need to sign a certificate of reemployment.

2. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Just 3 more Get-Ups for me:D. I don't do Fridays but I had to go in today for a special event.It's finished me off,I'm exhausted!:confused:

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Please check with TPS but I think you still need to ask for your new contract to start from September 2nd otherwise they can't trigger your pension as you need to be out of service to start it.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

My contract ends on August 31st and I don't start again until 6th September. Thanks for your concern. I've done everything by the book and our personnel dept doesn't think they'll be any problems.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I understand why some people want a counter counting down the days to retirement - but aren't you also wishing your life away? That's how it would feel to me a bit.

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Not to me it doesn't.

No more having to deal with moaning parents
    No more stress
    No more worrying about progress
    No more Ofsted
    No more stupid questions from governors who have no idea what they are talking about.
    No more feeling anxious on a Sunday evening.

I am counting down to the next stage of my life and I cannot wait.:D
    IMG_0063.JPG

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Enjoy your last week, Jesmond.

I can totally relate to those feelings. I have been invited back to school this week to wave goodbye to the year 6s. To be able to do so from the audience will be a treat. Someone else can remember all the gifts, certificates, speeches etc.

8. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

No way I always felt this was my life away from work, a new life, a clock starting not counting down. I think back to my father he had no real hobbies/interests and so I thought he was counting down the days. Retirement from teaching does not mean retirement, there is so much more to do.

Shedman, Startedin82, sally90 and 3 others like this.
  9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I had a counter from 13 September to my last teaching day on 20 July the following year.
    Not wishing my life away just preparing for the new, better life without all the sh7t that exists in teaching.
    3 years on have never looked back.
    Planned for retirement both financially and mentally and after 37 years deserved it.

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Well after all of these years this is my final Sunday evening before going to work on a Monday. For some reason I am feeling anxious but I have felt this way over the last few months.

I am going to thoroughly enjoy this week and I posted the following in another thread:

"I did not start teaching until 1998 when I was 38. I retire next week after having had a brilliant time and my only regret is that I did not start teaching sooner"

Let's hope that I don't get the Ofsted phone call.

11. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

12. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You won’t get the call and if you do - so what?!

Shedman, hammie, Jesmond12 and 2 others like this.
  13. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Have a great last week Jesmond12

14. maxp3

maxp3 New commenter

All the best Jesmond!

Shedman, Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Lovely day today. I wrote my final letter to parents thanking the vast majority for their support over the years. How I longed to say something about the unsupportive parents.

Had lunch with a group of children and I was thrown out of the hall as a group of children were practising for the assembly on Friday that I know nothing about.

Work - I didn't do much but the day flew by.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad you're enjoying these final days Jesmond.:D

Shedman, Startedin82 and Jesmond12 like this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck with your retirement Jesmond12. You have always come over so sensible and 'human' on these forums that I wish you had been my head. I'm sure we would have got on well.

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Thanks Shedman. That's a really nice thing that you have said. It really makes up for the moaning parent that I had in this afternoon. Now I am glad that I am going.

I know that you have postponed your retirement so I shall let you know what it is like.

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Rubbing salt into the wound?;)

Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It became very real today as I said goodbye to a couple of part time staff who had come in for a buffet lunch. There were tears from all of us and I am beginning to suspect that Friday will be a very emotional day.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.