1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Jesmond12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Get ready to enjoy that first school day when you don't have to go in. It's wonderful.

So far as part time work, some employers/agencies will want additional references if you stay away from work for more than 3 months to explain the gap. If using an agency it may be preferable to sign up and then delay starting, rather than the other way round.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Just booked a holiday for September. We have had to move it from Easter as we are moving house.

When we decided to move it I said to Mrs J we could go at October half term and then realised hang on we don't have to.

Lovely feeling.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I'm on holiday at the beginning of next term and again in September. We're also having a weekend away in august because I can't imagine the whole of that month at home!

sally90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We are away in August only because we booked it before I decided to retire.

Shedman likes this.
  5. jlishman2158

jlishman2158 New commenter

I love being on holiday when schools are in session. 7 holidays this year already taken or booked but if the weather is lovely and a Cumbrian lodge is reduced I intend to just pack and go!
    My head teacher said that when he sees retirees they look 10 years younger - which is great because that means I'm in my 40's, late 40's but still its better than late 50's!
    I felt a little lost to begin with but now 6 months into retirement I really enjoy it. After sorting my finances the pension doesn't look too bad. Actually had time to look for better car insurance, mobile and internet providers, etc, ended up saving nearly £1000 per year so definitely worth doing.
    I still worry about those working in my school, they are all fantastic teachers but I have great concerns over the stress and workload. I made it to 58 but some of the very young staff will be expected to work until their late 60's!
    Enjoy you last few days.

eljefeb90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Mine too!

sally90, eljefeb90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

:):):):):):):)59 working days to go:):):):)

8. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

If we still have to do wake up shake up when teachers are 60+, Boots will make millions on Tena lady.

dzil, Norsemaid, sally90 and 2 others like this.
  9. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

You lucky, lucky devil Jesmond.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

There we go Shedman, into double figures now.:):):) IMG_0050.JPG

11. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Same here. Jesmond. Mr. Sally's health issues are clipping our wings somewhat, but we will be able to get away for short breaks every so often. I'm also going completely in July and the countdown started last September-I have a special calendar where I cross off each day ! It's been a bad year at school; despite being on Phased Retirement it's still been really stressful and things are changing fast there. I thank my lucky stars that I won't be there in September when even more controversial changes come into effect.

I really thought that I'd be able to enjoy my last year, but it's not proving to be that way at the moment, which saddens me :mad:

PS Jesmond- I LOVE that countdown counter! Where did you get it from?:D

plot71 likes this.
  12. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Lots of online or web based timers - eg
    http://www.eventcountdown.com/index.html
    I used one that was built in to the smartboard program - had it counting down, like Jesmonds, but without the fantastic picture. I had it on the corner of the board for all my lessons. Think I started it around 70 days before leaving!

sally90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Thank you for the link Alldone ! :)

Alldone likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Hi,

I downloaded it free from the Apple App Store as it is on my iPad.

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad year. I had intended to retire next year. However, a not too good Ofsted report led me to change my decision and go in December.

Then at February half term I thought blow this and I decided to go at the end of this school year.

Best decision that I ever made. The relief has been enormous and all the stress has been lifted from my shoulders.

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

IMG_0055.JPG
    50 days to go and from Monday 35 working days.

4 stressful meetings booked over the coming weeks but frankly I don't care and I will no longer stress about them.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Fantastic! It is so good to be retired. I'm doing exam invigilation next week for the whole of June, but it is completely free of stress, pays around £80 a day and a free lunch is thrown in as well. Even better we have booked a holiday abroad the first week of July, before all the schools have broken up. No need to be stressed at work now @Jesmond12 , I'd be tempted to project that great countdown timer from your phone to the school smartboards - just to rub it in a little.

Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have seen lots of adverts for exam invigilator so I'm going to give that a go. Money sounds good as well.

I used to think that it would be a sad occasion when I retired but I cannot wait:)

sally90, Shedman, eljefeb90 and 2 others like this.
  18. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I've been doing exam invigilation for the last two years, at the Indie school I used to work at. We have two training meetings each year - last an hour but are paid for two, and then do both external exams and internal year 10 exams in the Summer and mocks in November. I also organise the entrance exams, which is more greet and meet and keeping the parents from getting too stressed. Some people say invigilation must be really boring, but I get a lot of variation - often do one to one, acting as a reader etc. Also enjoy watching practical exams - DT, Art, Photography and Food tech. Nice comment from one of the girls in the three day Art exam this year -"How can you do this watching us for three days" My reply was, "See that guy cutting the lawn; if you paid me I'd be quite happy to watch him all day"

19. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I was thinking you only had half a term to go, Jesmond, only yesterday. Yes, certainly don't stress about those meetings. I found I had a completely different attitude to Ofsted when they descended on us a few days before I retired. Take time to see what you fancy doing. I have a one day a week role, non class based which I am enjoying and it provides a bit of extra cash. I work hard on that day and keep my head down. Everyone else can dash around getting stressed, not me!

plot71 likes this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

10 Days to go Woohoooo