1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Jesmond12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have a spreadsheet already sorted - 87 days to go:cool:

2. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I also had a spreadsheet with many things highlighted as 'final'.
    It was actually very therapeutic to know and plan ahead.
    Time does fly once retired.
    Will be 3 years in July.

thistledoo, Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

When I retired there were 4 of us retiring at the same time. We had tee shirts made with the school crest on it and xxxx school leavers 2015. All of us wore them to school on the last day.

Jesmond12 and lindenlea like this.
  4. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

How are you coping? Do you ever have a cliff edge moment sorry to be negative!
    jesmind hope things are going well. I'm sort of in this position or will be so just a question...do you get "cliffedge" feelings and if so how do you cope with them? Thank you

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

To be honest Red, I have very few regrets. My main one is that I am not ending my career on a high but leaving with the school designated as RI.

When I first started this thread I was going at Christmas but I have now brought that forward to the summer. Everyone is now aware and I feel very relieved. I have been exploring part time jobs and I keep my eyes open to see what is around. I don't want something that is going to tie me down.

No cliff edge moments - I have jumped and I am flying high:D

6. doubledong

doubledong New commenter

Why the rush to find part-time work? I would take a six month break to let the mind unwind properly, then re-evaluate your priorities and goals for the next 5 and 10 years. Have a long holiday then see if part-time work is part of the plan. Why not have a look at VSO? Have a look at voluntary work in a Cambodian Primary school, or do as a friend did and go walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain in September, and then buy a round the world ticket and backpack it for a year. Or go visit India and chill. Don't rush back into a job if you don't have to - jobs aren't going to disappear. You only live once and you have plenty of cash so live a little.

plot71, thistledoo and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The advert for my job went live on the TES website today. Stand by for floods of applicants!

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Good luck Jesmond.

thistledoo, Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm going in july. I've applied for my teachers pension online and contacted my AVC provider about accessing my pension pot. The end really feels that bit closer now. Goodbye teaching. I feel I'm leaving just before schools fall off a cliff.

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I also applied for mine. It's a great feeling isn't it?

I'm just taking each day as it comes. Although I feel good at the moment I'm sure that as the day gets closer there will be sadness that I'm leaving a lovely school.

11. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I left at Christmas 2015. It's a sentimental time of year and I thought I would feel sad, having been at the school for 25 years. I had fondly imagined it would be like 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'. I did get lots of good wishes and, as I stood to give a valedictory speech, my second-in -department, who had worked with me for over twenty years, burst out crying. Instead of feeling moved, I felt elated as if I had won the lottery. I pointedly told my colleague not to cry as this was a happy moment and 'besides you're a really ugly crier'. The speech was short and played for laughs. Nobody was in any doubt how delighted I was to be going. I had considered having a go at the SLT who had made life difficult, but my patent elation said it all. Fifteen months later, I do what I like when I like. 2016 was the best year I've had since 1977.

12. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Good for you. Schools are not what they were. The relentless exhaustion-recovery cycle teachers are on just doesn't work once you get towards your 50s. It's like being a hamster in a wheel. I've seen too many ex-colleagues get seriously ill and drop down dead too early in life. As soon as you can, retire. Do something else. Be happy again and laugh more instead of being constantly stressed and tired.

plot71, Shedman, jlishman2158 and 2 others like this.
  13. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

To Jesmond 12 .Make sure that you invest your lump sum sensibly that will enable it to grow for a possible nearly 30 years of retirement. Investigate investing some each month on a drip feed basis that will iron out troughs and peaks particularly with a growth fund. Take your time and do some financial reading.

14. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I disagree. I'm guessing you haven't got massive debts or a mortgage. If you have, pay these off. Your hedge against inflation and 30 years of retirement is your index-linked teachers' pension and your state pension in 8-9 years time (also linked to inflation rate). God knows I dearly love my (now adult) children, but my AVCs are being used to bridge the gap until I get my state pension. I am also spending AVC money maintaining and updating my house which is a great investment with house prices rising by 4.5% in my area. Plus, I get the benefit of the improvements being at home most days. Have a safety blanket by all means, but you've been saving for your retirement...you're now retired, so spend as much as much as you want while you're still fit. You could drop dead tomorrow or, more likely, develop a condition that restricts your possibilities. Go and see New Zealand...it's stunning, so I've heard!
    I have several older relatives who scrimped and saved all their lives, who have well over £150.000 in assets (on top of their property) and are too frail to enjoy their wealth.

Shedman likes this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Before I became a teacher I spent 15 years working in the financial services market so I have a a fair knowledge of finance and investments.

We are in the process of moving house and downsizing and we do not need a mortgage to buy our new property. With the money we make from the house plus lump sums from pensions etc we will be comfortably off but we intend to enjoy life and travel.

Unfortunately Mrs J's medical issues prevent us from doing long getaways but we certainly will enjoy shorter holidays.

Everyone's circumstances are different and what is good advice for one person may not be good advice for someone else.

plot71, Yoda-, Shedman and 1 other person like this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Enjoy your retirement - treat everyday as a holiday. You've deserved it.

eljefeb90 and Jesmond12 like this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

72 school days to go - I'm counting down to retirement as well!

eljefeb90, Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My first job every morning when I sit down at my desk is to cross off another day:)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What's the point of amassing piles of money in the bank when it'll just get taken in Inheritance Tax, the new Death Tax and Care fees?
    We're also in the process of downsizing but we're buying a lovely, smaller house so that the proceeds will go mainly into bricks and mortar, but with a fair chunk in the bank, too.

The surveyor who came round today said house prices are about to take off again, because mortgages are going to become freely available again soon. Property appears to be the best investment.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree. We are also buying a smaller but just as lovely house free from a mortgage. Once we have done some home improvements we will have a good sized lump sum to pay for holidays etc.

Our purchaser is speeding things along so we might be moving just after Easter. I will have to grant myself a day off for moving.

eljefeb90, Yoda- and Lara mfl 05 like this.