1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown.

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Jesmond12, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

IMG_0010.JPG

My final year has just started. I'm being self indulgent I'm afraid. I am not in a position to tell anyone at work here so I will post here occasionally as it will help me through.

2. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Love the clock.

Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Remember lots of those days will be happy and successful too and that helps the countdown speed up.

PeterQuint, Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Jesmond, my last teaching day has arrived (after 2 years in the planning, 2 failed attempts at being allowed Early retirement, Mr. Jo and I just saved our damned hardest and I took ER anyway) and I feel very odd! My very small presentation is 40 mins away and I am saying just a few words as nobody wants to hear me dribble on (maybe dribble is the wrong word, that makes me sound a bit past-it already :rolleyes:!)
    everyone wants to get on with the cake! Linden is absolutely right, this time next year you will look back and think how quickly the last 365 days have gone.

I do love your picture-makes think of the sunny climes we can visit in January or February or September or November - all months so far out of the question due to school!How much notice are giving?

Joni x

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

As I'm a HT, I'm going to let governors know just after the Summer half term so that they then have 6months to seek a replacement.

I was planning to go in July 18 but a difficult Ofsted visit has brought my decision forward.

Good luck with your retirement:)

PeterQuint likes this.
  6. TRAinfo

TRAinfo New commenter

Here's to a happy final year!

Jesmond12 likes this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It's easier, Jesmond, when you have an end point in mind. I made my final decision last Christmas and told my governors after February half term. They recruited in the summer term which led to a long handover this term. It didn't stop Ofsted calling weeks before the end of term, though. Now I feel mostly relieved. Someone else can take that high level of responsibility and accountability. It isn't me any more. Yes, I counted down all year from 195 school days. it seemed to go quicker and quicker as the year went on.

Jesmond12 and frangipani123 like this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Enjoy your retirement.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Only 300 days left. It was half term this week and I have had a lovely time. Don't really want to go back. IMG_0042.JPG

I am sure that the next 100 days will speed by.

10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

In my last post I wrote that I hoped that the next 100 days would pass quickly by. Well there have been developments. Over the weekend I decided that I would retire at the end of this academic year instead of Christmas as planned.

I have told the Chair of Governors and the staff today and I feel a great sense of relief and a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders. So now the countdown is as follows. IMG_0044.JPG

pennyh., lizziescat, mrkeys and 2 others like this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Really pleased for you Jesmond. :D

Provided the push to advance the date was not precipitated by any problems in school.;)

jlishman2158 likes this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

None at all Lara, I just decided that it was the right time to go.

14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well done, Jesmond. I recognise that sense of relief. Not long until the summer!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Even the staff said that I looked happier. A letter will be going out to parents tomorrow.

Sundaytrekker and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Love the picture - wish I had done one when I was counting down. I just had a counter similar to yours. It started from 70 days ans I put it up on the whiteboard in every lesson I taught.

Jesmond12, johnberyl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

If you just coy you school days you will have even less!

18. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

Should say count schooldays (sorry)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Jesmond12 Sounds like you're really getting used to the idea. Summer is a much better time to go I'd say. The next part of your life is waiting.

20. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Had a counter from about the second week in September for my retirement in July.
    Kept me sane but really pi55ed off the HT.
    She was so envious........

Jesmond12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.