1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Final Countdown!

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by jacob, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Anybody else wish to join in as we count down to the end. 43 working days for me (only doing three days a week).

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

43 days - that's a good countdown :). I started at five years to go and counted down in half terms. Only managed to complete three years though and that was lucky frankly! Enjoy - or at least, if you can't enjoy, make sure you remind everyone else you're going, often.

plot71 and jlishman2158 like this.
  3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Oh I do! I am a right pain in the butt having been planning it for years, but went "phased" last year. Now on "the final countdown" to end of.

4. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

I retired last year. My countdown started on 12 march 2015 and ended 3 july. This was 66 working days. I had it printed out both at home and at work. Brilliant. I don't miss teaching at all. Best of luck.

5. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

I think you need to tread a little carefully. With so many teachers wanting out so desperately, the good will could be in short supply from colleagues !

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Who needs goodwill when you are having the last laugh? When I retired last summer, I put my countdown above my desk, and enjoyed mentioning that this is my last parents evening, set of reports, staff meeting ...

lindenlea likes this.
  7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

And why should they resent it, I am going to be 60. I have done my bit and want to have an untethered life before the decrepitude sinks in.

InkyP, Yoda- and lindenlea like this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

retirement_schedule_golfer_cards-r06d13a5944b7409989bca038c70ba3b2_xvuak_8byvr_512.jpg

9. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Come to think of it.. I did that too. Just popped in today to see a few ex-colleagues, and to update them on my three month 'escape from Winter' break in Spain and my forthcoming cruise. In response, I was regaled with the usual horror stories about behaviour and the 15 cover teachers currently in school...

plot71 likes this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A parent asked me with a worried look "What are you going to do?" and i couldn't help myself answering hysterically "Get a life!"

valyates likes this.
  11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

wanet, HelenREMfan and Yoda- like this.
  12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I sometimes pop in to see some of my former colleagues at the pub they go to on Friday lunchtimes, and delight in answering the question "How's retirement" with the answer "terrible" followed by a list of the things I get to do now that I can choose how to spend my time.

Nobody really minded my little gloats in the weeks before I left - just the usual good-hearted banter. The hightlight for me was when a Year 11 student, who had been in my form for a couple of years and I had taught only in Year 7, came to me for help. I asked her about her plans for 6th form, and she wasn't sure whether to stay or change school. I attempted to persuade her to stay by telling her that the Further Maths teachers for next year would be ideal for her (I meant it). She replied "yes, but it's a shame you are retiring."

lindenlea likes this.
  13. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Perhaps?

download-33.jpg

14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I'm counting half terms..... 15 left!

lindenlea likes this.
  15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Not! When I am not doing stuff for my mother (who is the real coffin-dodger), and being preyed upon by my daughter and grandkids, I will be doing things for myself; probably starting with days out on the motorbike in North Wales, some DIY that has been put off for years, then I might think about other stuff.

16. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I love Wales. Llandudno and marine drive on a sunny day. Heaven. Stop at the cafe on marine drive for a Latte and cake (not the great orme one).

I feel rather jealous....

P4170010A.JPG

www.greatorme.org.uk/marinedrive.html

17. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

39 days.

InkyP and lindenlea like this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I will have been retired for a year at the end of March, I can't imagine working full-time again. As well as the elderly parent and the grandchildren (Like Jacob) I do some invigilating and some volunteering and things that are just for me. :)

okram1 and lindenlea like this.
  19. templing

templing Occasional commenter

Thanks a lot Yoda for the beautiful pic and the link on Great Orme, I had a great week-long hol in North Wales 18 years ago (Llandudno, Portmeirion, Conwy etc) and remember eating the best burgers known to man on the "Rest & Be Thankful" café pictured in your link that revived plenty of lovely memories.

Retired at 55 in the summer 2014 after a 31 year-long largely successful career (in terms of job satisfaction) as classroom teacher and HoD of MFL. I wasn't sure it was the right decision at first and was torn for a while as I loved teaching (less so since circa 2010...) and felt that I still had lots to give but I was quickly reassured that indeed, I'd done the right thing! The writing had long been on the wall when I stopped and it really pains me to see what teaching has become, it really does.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mine....
    IMG_0328.PNG