1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The fight for AQA

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by gavcradd, May 25, 2011.

1. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'll kick it off then...

I don't do the new AQA course, but I've delivered the old AQA course and I've marked papers for GCSE ICT with AQA for the past 6 or 7 years. I've also read up on the new spec extensively with a view to starting it next year. I may choose OCR In the end, but only because of the programming module. AQA would be my second choice, certainly ahead of Edexcel.

Kids here had no problems at all with the old spec - in our last set of results, we got 82% A*/As, 100% A* - C with 102 students. It's straight forward, does what it says on the tin, etc. I see no reason why the new spec would change any of that. Low abilities were included in that, even a number of students who were in the BY special needs classes.

Work is submitted to AQA via the usual printed paper versions, then samples posted off. As far as I know, there's no electronic submission model. But why would you want that? My last experience of submitting work electronically was a moderator from Edexcel getting shirty because work was sent as a Word document rather than a PDF. I don't want that complication thank you!

Support from AQA is the main reason that I'd recommend them, it always was tremendous. A named coursework advisor to have a chat with about approaches to teaching, knowledgeable people answering the phones. The very fact that you've referred to "edex-hell" in previous posts means you know what I'm talking about!

2. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Personally I am hanging fire until Wolfe is fully understood and the feedback from the computing review. It could be that Computing becomes part of Ebac if this is the case there will be a rush for this and all work on the GCSE may be a waste of time. I looked at the OCR Computing course last night and actually it looks rather good!

3. ICT Don

ICT Don New commenter

Same. We started with Edexcel this year. Not entirely happy with it but may feel different with another year under my belt. AQA looks more straight-forward but I find I never get the right type of pupil opting for it. Edexcel feels a lot more creative but you really have to understand what they are after for the CA tasks.
    I think in a few years I will be running GCSE ICT for pupils who want to say they have done IT at school to please their parents and Computing for those who have a geninue interest in the subject.