1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The fertility treatment thread

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by EBC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Good luck, Para, you deserve it! Really hope all goes well.

2. becky70

Oh dear, thought first message hadn't got through!

3. Thanks for the advice, ladies!
    Good luck Para!

4. impis

impis New commenter

Good luck to Para!!
    I was once in a little cottage hospital, having a D and C, and a laparoscopy as part of the investigation into our fertility problems.
    In another bed, was a woman, a mother of 10, also in for a D and C.
    She and I got chatting.
    She said that she'd had difficulty with fertility too - which i found hard to believe. She said it took just a simple cure.
    I eagerly anticipated the golden advice which would cure all my woes..................................................................

"I changed the stud!!" she told me.

It made me laugh at the time, and I hope that it has at least made you smile a little. I'm not suggesting that you follow her advice, though of course, that is one course of action which you could take - using donor sperm. Strangely, men can be very iffy about this particular proceedure. I've found that some would prefer to adopt a child of neither partner, rather than 'allow' their partner to have 'another man's child'. Yet those same blokes would probably be quite happy to use donor eggs.
    Sensitive souls, really, these men, you know!
    Keep smiling, keep your legs up and knickers down! [at the time of ovulation] And above all, never, ever, give up!

5. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

Good luck Para! x
    Quick update - went to hospital yesterday - mixed news; no real concerns about height and weight (am on heavy side but nothing was said), blood pressure slightly high - has always been high side and the stress of yesterday wouldn't have helped - again not really concerned. My OH's sperm results weren't as bad as we thought - the 2 important tests were fine and although he has strange shaped, she said this was least important and wasn't greatly concerned - looking like the Unexplained Infertility!
    She did an internal (wasn't expecting that though should have!) - all OK, apparently I have 'youthful ovaries!' and only real issue is my aging eggs - I'm approaching 38.....
    Big downer was no IVF on NHS as over 34/36 ......[​IMG]
    They are advising me to have tube xray before next appointment in 3 months, will do any of the blood tests etc for me and then will have to look into self funding IVF - if thats where we intend to go (think so, need to locate money now ...)
    Feeling a bit more optimistic today - and of course could still happen naturally - need to relax! [​IMG]
    Hope everyone else is feeling more relaxed, less stressed too ......
    BD xxxxx
    NAS x

6. Hi, I was wondering whether anyone might be able to help me here...
    About to start ttc in a few months, stopped pill and no AF since Xmas. Went to gynacologist, was given ultrasound, smear and sent for blood tests, as well as progesterone (sp?) tablets to bring on AF. Tablets worked, but dr says that there is some probs with one of my hormones (DHEAS) and is now referring me to a special fertility clinic. Kind of terrified now, as not sure what they will do there... and if it's something simple like a hormone prescription, why my normal dr can't do it. Also loved the fact that my referral gives a reason which basic translates as 'sterility'.. very cheerful (all in german as live in vienna!).
    Just can't believe that it is already at the stage of fertility clinics and haven't even had the fun of starting ttc yet... all seems so much so soon and completely overwhelmed with fear. As women who have already been down this road, any advice on how to keep calm when things already feel like they are spiralling out of control?

7. Well that's it, AF arrived yesterday so it's back to the GP for us for further investigation. It's been the most frustrating year of my life but I'm up for anything the hospital needs to do.
    Hey NSMM are you on provera? This is what I take so AF arrives every 6 weeks or so (2 tablets for 5 days).
    I have pcos which has flared up terribly since coming off the pill. I sort of know what to expect as I have a friend who is going through checks. I'm feeling pretty calm as I just want it to happen so I'm up for anyhting, also have pcos and endo lasered off means that I've been 'tampered' with an awful lot!
    Good luck ladies xx

8. Sorry to hear that Woo. x

9. Thanks Juju tbh I was expecting it right from the beginning. Compared to some a year is nothing so I'm just excited to get started.
    Feeling a little sad that it's Mother's Day tomorrow and that I'll be giving a gift instead of receiving one but never mind.
    Take care everyone xx

10. I know what you mean. But I did get a text from the 3 cats!

11. The drug which I am taking is called prodafem, but I think it's probably the same thing just a different brand name here in Austria. Had a call from the fertility clinic and had to fax over results of my blood tests, so fingers crossed will be something simple. Hoping that all will be ok now and will ov this cycle.. practising lots of relaxing this month! (sitting with mini champagne and sex and the city DVD as OH has gone out for a few hours!).
    woo77... how do you find taking provera each cycle? I suffered quite badly from stomach cramps, queasiness and loss of appetite, do you have any side effects?

12. The drug which I am taking is called prodafem, but I think it's probably the same thing just a different brand name here in Austria. Had a call from the fertility clinic and had to fax over results of my blood tests, so fingers crossed will be something simple. Hoping that all will be ok now and will ov this cycle.. practising lots of relaxing this month! (sitting with mini champagne and sex and the city DVD as OH has gone out for a few hours!).
    woo77... how do you find taking provera each cycle? I suffered quite badly from stomach cramps, queasiness and loss of appetite, do you have any side effects?

13. Good for you it can drive you insane!
    Even on the pill I had awful periods, heavy and painful. I have more or emphasised symptoms such as sore boobs (never had this before, could have cried this time last week) and turning into an even worse spotty mess than usual. I haven't noticed loss of appetite but definitely have quesiness, dizzy spells and cramping. I cramp from the day after I've taken the last pill.
    It isn't ideal but this is the only way I can have periods at the moment. Fingers crossed with the results xxx

14. Thanks for the reply woo77,
    Had an email confirming that the clinic received my results, so just waiting now. This is my first experience dealing with fertility clinics, and the notion that there might be even the smallest thing wrong with me is very disturbing. I have to say that I have so much respect for everyone on this thread and what you are going through and am grateful to have an outlet to discuss this.

15. Hi all
    I hope you don't mind me joining this thread.
    We are both mid-late 30's. We have been TTC for 16 months, and had a very poor semen analysis so have been given an appointment at the fertility clinic very soon. GP has said likely to be AID, but we are hoping ICSI might be an option (GP was a tw** on many levels).
    We have been told to arrive 15 mins early with passport photos to fill in forms. I am getting more and more nervous as the appt approaches, and wondered if anyone had any ideas what we might be asked (I can guess some, but 15 mins seems a long time).
    It's a bit weird because for so long I have been battling to get this far that when I got the appt it seemed like we had reached the end. Only now am I realising that in fact this might be just the start.

16. Hi Itsasecret.
    You sound like me and my OH, same ages, length of trying, sperm problems etc
    I would imagine you would have to go 15 mins early to fill in loads of forms before you see the consultant. When we went to first appointment, I was called in separately for the nurse to ask some questions, weigh me etc. Then we both went in to see the consultant who asked usual questions. How long have you been trying etc

Good luck xx

17. Thanks Jujubear
    I guess there really is no need to worry, but can't help it.
    My weight is likely to be an issue, and I guess I'm not looking forward to being told for the umpteenth time that I should lose weight (as though that would solve the sperm issue[​IMG]).
    Luckily we are not easily embarrassed about all the personal questions - must be a nightmare going through this if you are shy.
    I guess I'm just hoping they can do something fairly quickly and we won't have to go through loads more tests before we get some action (of the medical kind - since the other knid of action is not doing the trick).

18. becky70

First appointment : they ask all the bog standard questions. I did have to have an examintaion there and then, too - similar to a smear test!
    If they've checked your blood and done semen analysis, all that's left is to check your tubes so they may book you in for that.
    None of it's nice but I haven't found any of it that horrible. Just sad that I need it.

19. Thanks Becky.
    It's the fear of the unknown I think that makes it worse. Perhaps if they included a leaflet that told us what would happen we'd worry less.
    Do you think they'll examine me if problem is with OH?

20. notascientist!

notascientist! New commenter

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me on our first appointment last week - I was stupidly surprised about the internal exam (just like a smear test), she also had a feel of my womb and ovaries .....
    Good luck - it was a little sad waiting there as there are so many pregnant ladies walking around, but thats the way it seems to go!
    Unfortunately we are unable to receive treatment on NHS as my age (37, nearly 38) eliminates us ... so now looking into private funding. Still hope to do tubes test on NHS though.