1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The fertility treatment thread

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by EBC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I feel the same, ashamed to admit it. For the time being anyway, I'm going to set up camp on this thread for that reason- sorry if that offends anyone [​IMG] I'm finding it all quite hard to deal with but know others on here have had much longer and harder journeys than us, so forgive me for being a misery!
    Trying to plan nice things to do and distractions to fill the time before our next appointment in 4 weeks- weekend away, shopping trip planned, friends over for dinner, lots of good books and DVDs to keep busy. Plus I've found swimming is really calming so enjoying that.
    Oh and sorry to hear AF got you, juju- look after yourself xx

2. Ladies I know that I'm not going through fertility treatment so I hope you don't mind me posting here.
    Of course it won't offend anyone.
    You're not a misery, none of you are. After all the tests and procedures you've had you all have every right to vent. Just hope you don't mind a no man's land dweller being nosey.
    xx

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Woo and kittens, you are both welcome! Not had fertility treatment myself yet as it happens but got the ball rolling so should have hospital appointment sometime soon. Have resigned myself to not conceiving naturally.
    As long as we aren't joined by people trying for less than 4 months who don't have any existing problems, that's fine! It can be hard to accept the impatience of people who have only just started trying when you've been trying for a long time, although I guess that's what the ttc thread is there for!

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Thanks Becky70. We're on month 11 now, starting Clomid soon. What stage are you at? I'm not sure how starting IVF works really, is there a long waiting list? x

5. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I've been trying for almost three years. We had tests a while ago - they showed nothing wrong so we were sent away and told to carry on trying for a bit longer. As we are still gettign nowhere, we are just about to go back.
    I don't know what the waiting list is like and I would imagine it varies from area to area. We are entitled to free treatment - one round anyway!

6. Thanks Becky it's so horrible isn't it? The ladies who started ttc at the same time have their babies or are counting down to their due date, I can't even manage a period unassisted!
    xx

7. Glad this thread is taking off and it is better when you know there are people out there who are also having problems. I was pretty much there from the start of the TTC thread and just felt like I wasthe only one left (I know this isn't true).
    I'm feeling better about AF arriving, now started taking 5th lot of Clomid.xx

8. I just checked (geek alert!!) we both started to post in March. Just looking at some of the names made me feel sad as they either have babies or expecting. I'm thrilled for them just devastated for us.
    xx

9. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Wow, I started this thread because of the exact reasons mentioned in previous posts. It started to really hurt and truthfully...annoy me....to hear of people complaining that they got their period, and had only been ttc for a year or less.
    I even stopped coming on TES as there wasn't much response. But SUDDENLY over the weekend we seem to have grown!!!
    So Hi to everyone - Woo, Becky, Kittens, Juju and anyone else I have missed.

IVF waiting lists depend on where you are in the country. It is approx 12-15 months. Depending on where you are also determines how many attempts the NHS offer you. Im in London and our borough will only offer 1 attempt.
    IUI has very little or no waiting list and again, depending on where you are, we were offered 3 attempts on the NHS.
    We were put on the NHS IVF waiitng list for Oct 2010, but have decided to self fund, no waiting list . VERY Expensive, but a choice we've made.

10. It can be hard to truly sympathise with people who haven't been trying that long (although I do understand that it is very disappointing for anyone who is ttc when af arrives). A friend of mine (who knows how long we've been trying) wanted sympathy from me when she failed to conceive 2 months after giving birth!!! Needless to say, she got a shock from my short sharp reply!
    If you've been ttc for a long time and the months and years pass you then have to face the worry that there is something wrong, you have to be poked and prodded during various tests/scans etc and then the doubt creeps in about whether you will actually ever have a child at all- and that's very scary and heartbreaking!
    EBC- Did you try IUI?

11. impis

impis New commenter

Not TTC myself [though I've been there and done that years ago - and ended up adopting a baby girl first before fertility treatment worked and having a son the usual way.]
    However, thought i'd come and chivvy you along abit.
    My mate, is TTC and has just had her 2nd IVF treatment - and she's had a positive test result. She has to wait a couple more weeks before having a scan, but has a big grin permenantly fixed to her face. Tis lovely!
    So don't give up! One way or another, you'll succeed!
    x

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Thanks Impy.

I wish I had your confidence!

13. Thanks Impis. Hope we are all as successful x

14. Impis- Thanks a lot for your positive stories, they really help to give us long term ttcers some hope.
    I try to keep thinking this. [​IMG]
    Sometimes I fail. [​IMG]

15. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

rharg - No I didnt try IUI, even though thats what they wanted us to do first. We were ready to go ahead at the local NHS hosp, but then got a cyst and decided to look at other options first.
    Found our current hospital on HEFA's website, kinda like ofsted for fertility hosp. Hubby and I talked for ages, discussed finances, pros/cons and decided to take the plunge for IVF. Its our best chance possible so..here we are.

16. Just wanted to say congratulations to your friend. I've read a few of your posts asking for positive vibes for her and I'm so glad to hear that her treatment has worked.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

17. EBC- Thanks for your reply. I don't think the success rates are great for IUI. They've said we're in the 'unexplained infertility' category now and I know IUI is suggested for that sometimes so I was wondering whether they'll suggest it for us, or if I should suggest it. It's difficult isn't it because I don't really want to waste time on things that have little chance of working but what if that's all we need? [​IMG] Hope you're feeling ok and IVF is going well for you. x

18. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks noeyedeer.
    x

19. We've been offered 3 tries of IUI before we try ICSI/IVF. Only problem found so far is hubby's sperm quality. I'm hoping that will work before we have to try more invasive techniques. x

20. impis

impis New commenter

In the case of a low sperm count, how do you describe it? Mr imp sometimes jokingly described himself as 'no lead in his pencil' or 'firing blanks'. LOL!