1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The fertility treatment thread

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by EBC, Jan 2, 2010.

1. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Yes! Our infertility is unexplained so I often cling to the idea that there's nothing wrong and we'll conceive naturally even though it's been nearly three years. The thought of it does scare me but I am going to bite the bullet and see my GP to get the ball rolling.

2. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Mrscc - I will send you a pm (if I can find you haha).
    If i'm honest it was never a case of not wanting to go through treatment. After so long of ttc naturally, i just wanted help. No- i didnt ever think it would go so far to NEED ivf or IUI, I just thought a bout of clomid would sort it out.
    Once you start clomid, and that doesnt work, you naturally think of 'what to do next', and then the 'next thing'.
    I'm now relieved to be starting. I try not to think about, if this doesnt work.

3. this is so true...

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

On one hand, I don't want it to be this way, I want to do it "normally"... but on the other hand, "normally" isn't going to happen, so is it better to do it the way I don't want than not at all? I just don't know!

5. Am feeling gutted this evening, so thought it might be cathartic to post. I had my follow up appt at the hosp today and even with the clomid, it turns out I'm not ovulating. I was certain that I had this month - I used the OPK and I had (or thought I had) pain in my right side. They've upped my dosage but just feeling very disillusioned.

At least I can enjoy a guilt free wine tonight!
    Hope everyone else has had a better day. xx

6. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Didn't want to fall off the page, so bumping up.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Bumps are good.... geddit?

8. To all the ladies trying to conceive
    just wanted to say please do not give up.
    I started trying over 10 years ago, after many investigations it was discovered that my womb lining was too thin to ever support the development of a child. I was written up in medical papers and told even with IVF I'd have such a remote chance that it wasn't worth it. As a result I moved on, worked on my career, house, relationship etc and put it at the back of mind for three or so years.
    In July this year after a very stressful time applying for jobs, passing my degree etc I began to feel very sick and yes I was pregnant. At 5 weeks I insisted on a scan and the lining was 2mm on either side except for a 3mm bit where baby had implanted. Usually babies need about 6-8mm to survive so it was touch and go. I had a heavy bleed at 8 weeks and was told it had probably not survived but here i am at 35 weeks with a very large tummy and still in shock.
    I know you will have heard many storie like this but I honestly believe it was when I stopped thinking about it and moved on that it happened.
    The other thing that helped was being asked to consider the question 'how is my life meaningful without children' . It hurt to consider it but I came to see that even if it didn't happen I had so much to give. In fact I almost resented baby at first because my life was so busy and full without children.
    I will never forget the anguish I went through and completely empathise with you but please remain positive.
    Big hugs
    xx

9. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you for sharing your story LRRS and wow, congratulations!

10. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

That's a lovely story LRRS! Good luck xx
    I've been to see consultant today as a follow up to laparsocopy and hysteroscopy.
    Well, of course THE most important bit is that Mr Para's sperm motility is not a problem!!! Having been told last time that his sperm were lazy, he was most anxious to find out that they are actually normal!

I saw pictures of my fallopian tubes and of my womb.

I had a polyp removed apparently during the laparoscopy.
    The biopsy on my womb was OK.
    The dye went through my tubes a bit slowly, putting me at a slightly increased risk of an ectopic.
    Ovaries are looking fine.
    I ovulated in November and got good progesterone results (pity we couldn't make any babies cos I had the swine flu!!)
    But it doesn't look like I've ovulated this month, despite the Clomid.

So, my Clomid's been increased.
    I've to take aspirin as soon as I find out I'm pregnant. (Contrary to what the miscarriage consultant told me in Nov 08 - she said from 12 weeks)
    I've to have injections of hcg throughout the first trimester. (Again, miscarriage consultant previously told me that there's no evidence these work - today's consultant said that it was difficult to prove whether or not it worked!!)
    I've to go and have another blood test on day 21 of my next cycle.

11. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Well that all sounds really good Para. Its wierd how there's always contradictory advice.
    But it all sounds positive, and isn't just amazing how that somehow puts you at ease..well at least till the next time!!
    Injections ...well I think that's what they'll ask me to have.
    Little miracle in the air, just be strong.

12. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Just finished my Provera and due to start AF in the next few days before the HyCoSy to check tubes... I've had quite bad period cramps today and sicky feeling but maybe that's becuase I haven't had AF for 5 months and things are waking up finally! Hubby is having his SA next week, poor bloke. I still think the men have it easier than us though, especially those of us with irregular/ non-existant AFs as it's always a guessing game as to what's going on! Can't wait to get stuck into the Clomid now.

13. Kittens you'll feel so much better once you've had a period. I found my second provera AF worse than my first but it is such a relief.
    Look after yourselves ladies x

14. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Yeah, I'm bracing myself for a nasty one after 5 months with none... cramping has already started so it'll be here soon!

15. Firstly, good luck to anyone on the fertility rollercoaster!
    My husband and I spent 6.5 years trying & £40k on fertility treatment - I am now mummy to THE best lttle girl in the whole world!!! (Slightly biased opinion!)
    My advice is controversial but I SO wish someone had given me the same advice years ago as it would have saved an awful lot of wasted time/heart ache and eventually money. So here goes, IUI has very limited success rates - many NHS hospitals use this to keep people off their ivf waiting lists. The actual statistics for NHS IUI success a couple of years ago were around the 9% mark - up to about 15% - some private clinics claim 20% success.
    We were officially "unexplained " infertility - husband had occasional slow swimmer samples. However, when we moved onto ivf it became apparent that I had low ovarian reserve and probably had when we started trying when I was 35.
    This wouldn't be discovered via IUI. I had no other symptoms but after my FSH test for a private ivf (we got fed up with NHS messing us about & taking Clomid/IUIs) it was obvious I'd need max dosage of drugs.
    Even with top dose I only managed to produce 4 eggs - all grade 1 embryos & 100% fertilisation.

To cut a very long story short, we wasted so much time with the NHS but ended up having to go privately and then needing the max dosage because it had taken so long - therefore it was even more expensive than if we'd gone privately first of all!
    I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but there were some glaring *** ups from the NHS - won't bore you with the details - but I would seriously question your PCT about their EXACT stats for IUI success.
    Suffolk PCT are no longer bothering with free IUIs they're now doing free IVF instead.
    In defence of IUIS - they are useful for the cons to track/scan your cycle & get an idea of how you respond so having one isn't a total waste of time. Also, you may get lucky and for some women with cervical issues it can be a good thing and likely to work - just remember that they are also included in those stats so if that's not you, it's an even longer shot!

We ended up having donor eggs in Athens - a fantastic experience with the most amazing lady doctor & a great clinic.

If you need support/info/advice during ivf I'd strongly recommend the site Fertility Friends - free & fab!

Good luck!

16. Congrats on your baby girl. Now I don't know what to do! I'm also 35, doc said I had plenty of eggs but OH sperm not so good. We are currently on waiting list for IUI. Apparently we get 3 tries and then 3 IVF tries too on NHS. What would you suggest? There is no way we can afford 40k.

17. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you for telling us your story. Postive vibes being passed on.
    Juju - IUI is cheaper and less invasive. If you have good eggs, IUI will help those swimmers reach your eggs. Remember they give them a good wash and pick the best ones. They place them very near to the eggs so its a good chance.
    IVF is more expensive, but has the added benefit of all the 'matchmaking' being done under the microscope. That was the decision we had to make. As you know we decided to go for IVF.
    So AF arrived this morning and tomorrow will book appointment for ORT bloods and HyCoSy. I'm taking each appointment at a time. Hopefully the cyst has gone and we'll see what happens. I'll let you know.
    xx

18. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Giess - i'm on FF site too. I've found the IVF page for my hospital too.

19. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi ladies,
    Just wanted to give you an update. First scan and ORT tests today. All is well, seems to be lots of follies and no cysts. Hurrah!!
    Next week - HyCoSy and dummy embryo transfer.
    Too tired to type anymore, its been a long day. Chat tomorrow. xx

20. Glad things have gone well xx