1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Favourite

Discussion in 'Personal' started by smoothnewt, Jan 10, 2019.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Anyone else seen it?
    Personally I was underwhelmed.
    Great cinematography plus fab costumes, sumptuous designs and settings. Good acting from all three lead females. I won't talk about the ending so as not to give a spoiler of sorts. I just found it not very satisfying overall.
    I like Olivia Colman, but if she gets a "Best Actress" Oscar over Glenn Close (The Wife) there will be no justice.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Am not a fan of ‘flavour of the month’ Olivia Coleman - I think it stems from an award ceremony ( she won something ) and her reaction to it / speech. Hey ho each to their own :)

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ha ha - Olivia's ubiquitous these days and I said to my husband a couple of days ago it's only a matter of time before she becomes a "national treasure", which is an expression I hate because of all the connotations. Lo and behold! BBC News called her just that in an article I read last night.

I really do want to see The Favourite though. The costumes look fab.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I want to see it.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I want to see it.

MrsLan doesn't want to see it.

So I'll wait for Netflix/Amazon.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I remember her from "Kev and Bev".

Why do casting people fixate on one actor or actress so they have to be in everything: Olivia Coleman, Sheridan Smith, and the one I call "duckface" who was naughty Alice in Luther. There are hundreds of actors and actresses out there, probably no worse than these, who get shoehorned into parts they don't really suit. Give some others a chance. How many acting courses at various establishments chuck out graduates every year to be dumped on the scrapheap. Give us some new talent tellybox! At one stage about twenty years ago John Thaw was in everything, then we had David Jason in everything. Give the watching public a break.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I understand what people mean when they are having a slight dig at Olivia. Personally I thought she was very good in the film and I enjoyed it. Am not a particular fan of Emma Stone. I want Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper to sweep the board as their film moved me to tears. I thought he did a great job of acting in it and he directed a masterful performance from Gaga.

Oddly enough on my tuition session today I discussed with my student this Britishness of building up a "hero" to a high pinnacle just for the sport of sniping at them to knock them right down - bringing down a peg or two.

8. smoothnewt

I quite like her. To be honest, I thought she and Rachel Weisz were very good, and I would not have said Olivia Colman was any better than they were in this film.

9. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I suspect they have very good agents ( bit like Holly Willoughby )...

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I enjoyed it. Well made and well acted. But I suppose it depends on taste in films. It's more about the relationships so it depends if that holds your interest or not.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Saw it yesterday. Sumptous costumes, glorious Hatfield House, but... a bit too long, not much of a plot, although I understand it was more about a love triangle. Funny in parts, bawdy and cheeky. Odd ending.

grumpydogwoman and smoothnewt like this.
  12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I going to watch 'The Favourite' tomorrow because I got a bit sidetracked by one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while.

A deeply disturbing film based on a true story.

Watch this film if you get the chance.

13. Jude Fawley

Most of the crop of films I've watched this season have been alright but I always feel many are flawed.

I think 'Stan and Ollie' ( which I haven't watched yet) will, if included in the Oscar nominations, take best actor, best director, costume design, cinematography etc.

'The Old Man And The Gun' (Robert Redford) was passable but fell into the trap of homage to Redford it being as he says, his last movie.

'Green Book' was good to a point but somewhat failed for me through aspects of stereotyping.

I reckon 'Vice', 'The Wife' and 'The Mule' are worth a watch.

14. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I saw 'Stan and Ollie' last night. Coogan was great as Stan- the voice was spot on. Beautifully shot and touching.

15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Somehow "The Favourite" doesn't appeal to me. I am a little puzzled as usually I'd like that sort of film. But I plan to see "Stan and Ollie" tomorrow.

16. Jude Fawley

I've just started watching 'The Favourite' and have endured twenty minutes of a really bad film. The lighting is terrible despite it trying to depict the interiors of the day. The dialogue is horrendous chav talk and even the credits are bad. I'm certainly not impressed. Maybe it will pick up but, after twenty minutes I'm bored to death with it. It's not even funny. The incidental music is horrendous!

A massive fail.

smoothnewt likes this.
  17. smoothnewt

I did actually quite like the darkness and the external braziers; I thought they gave a really good aperçu of how it would have been to live in those times after nightfall.

I agree about the dialogue. And the music.

I was astonished that the film is being billed as a comedy. One reviewer claimed it had as many laughs as Airplane. :confused: The audience watched it in total silence, although there was one titter somewhere along the way.

Interesting fact from my book of kings and queens of Britain: when Queen Anne died, aged 49, she "had become so stout that her massive coffin was almost square".

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  18. Jude Fawley

Sidetracked again, I've just watched this movie 'Ashes In The Snow' (2018). This is Oscar nominee material.

Not necessarily a 'foreign' film because it's made for general release.

19. Jude Fawley

What irritates me is the way the sunlight through the windows hits the camera lens obscuring the scene. I don't think it is very professional.

I will watch the whole film and I have my theories about the whole venture. I fear for Olivia Colman. I think she is completely misunderstood and cast accordingly. I just hope she doesn't get ground up by the motion picture machine.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My friend was the costume supervisor on ‘ Stan and Ollie ‘ -she has done some very big films ...

smoothnewt and Jude Fawley like this.