1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Farm

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Luckydip, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Luckydip

Luckydip New commenter

Hello

Anyone got any great ideas for a lesson in any area related to the Farm. I have. Few ideas but looking for something really exciting. The children are having a visiting farm coming in, and we are looking at what products cone from different animals. What else could I do? Most of my children are EAL and below average.

2. What about 'The Little red Hen'- opportunities for personal social- helping others. KUW -making bread . Animal sounds and feathers/ fur/ wool/ leather etc. Hatching eggs in incubator if you can get hold of one.. Small world farm. Counting/ matching farm animals and their young. Cows and milking ( made a polystyrene cow one year with rubber gloves for milking)-milkshakes. I am doing farm at mo so any ideas you have would also be great!!

3. EAL? How about finding out what the family uses for food especially staples like breads, grains, dairy products . and then invite the parent/s in to show how they make a dish. I did a 'food' topic when we had a few families from different cultures. It worked so well. The dish we ended up with from most was a variation of a pancake. It was interesting to see how common things are in all cultures through food, and the origins. I realise you are doing Farm, but if you do The Little Red Hen you could follow through on flour/bread/grain based foods.