1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

THE FAME GAME

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ACOYEAR8, Jul 11, 2020.

1. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Have you taught anyone who has then become famous ? OR were you at school/uni with someone famous ?

Simon Russell Beale was in the year above me. I was in his first ever performance of Lear ( 3rd guard or something -me, not him ! )

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Ian McEwan...
    Simon Dee' son (little known...nice Rolls Royce)

agathamorse and alex_teccy like this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Crikey Mikey !
    ( I do know who Simon Dee)

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Sorry...but don't know this person either (will take a look)...he looks impressive!

Simon Dee...pirate radio 60s...no idea what happened to his son, Simon Henty-Dodd.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  6. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Before my time at my school, but comedy actor Kevin Bishop attended and apparently, was showing comedy tendencies when he hid and jumped out on teachers and set off the fire alarm as a joke!!

In my time (names to watch out for) Sam Edozie who was signed by Man City.

We have had child actors who have appeared in Lion King, Matilda & Indigo in The Worst Witch on BBC.

Our most recent was a little boy who played Dr Hanssen's grandson on Holby City.

ACOYEAR8 and agathamorse like this.
  7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

That's weird, as he was in my tutor group as an eleven year old but subsequently moved schools as his acting roles were increasingly taking him out of school. I remember him as a little blond boy.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

In two different schools:
    I taught Aston Merrygold of JLS, who clearly had an extra 'something' in KS3 when he played the Artful Dodger in "Oliver".
    In my next school I taught pommel horse olympic gymnast Louis Smith. He admits these days he was not the best student, but he certainly had charm.
    I cannot take any credit at all for either young man's success, as I taught them a subject unrelated to their chosen fields.
    @ACOYEAR8 Simon R B is an incredible actor. I would go and see him read a dictionary if theatres were open...

9. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Our school is an independent primary not sure how long he was there for as before I started :)

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have taught several murderers, murderees and sexual deviants.

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Was at school with Jim Leighton, Scottish goal keeper.

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Careful here, people. Wiki will supply the name of the school to anyone feeling spiteful today.

ilovesooty and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Good advice.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

An ex-student at my Poly was the elective 'Martyr for Islam' who's execution prompted the SAS raid on the Iranian Embassy. I can recall seeing him ranting in support of Ayatollah Khomeini at Student's Union meetings - one of the most fanatical people I've ever seen. The mid-rant gleam in his eye still chills me today.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Fortunately it doesn't for my "famous" person, well not that I can find.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I've taught an Arabic Prince, does that count?

agathamorse likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've taught a current Championship footballer and a current County Batsman and I played many games of snooker at University with a current BBC weather man.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

England cricketer. Wales cricketer.
    2 Cops on reality TV programmes, one of whom overlapped with above. One inmate on a reality TV programme about a female prison.
    Zoo keeper on Zoo programme.
    Kid who appeared on the only episode of Eastenders I've watched in 30 years.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I remember Phil Foden (Man CIty player) when he was in the Infants

agathamorse and ilovesooty like this.
  20. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Occasional commenter

One of mine committed a notorious murder and was [for all I know still is] detained at HMQ's pleasure in a hospital for the criminally insane.

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.