1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Failure of Selling Resources.

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Room_101, Dec 6, 2016.

1. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

You could expand your sales base, but it takes time. However, I do think there is a market out there - a limited market - but a market all the same.

2. vuvuzela

I disagree. Everyone who thinks they can make a buck from publishing writes fiction - only to find that - guess what - everyone is writing fiction and trying to sell it and competition is enormous. So prices have to be reduced to next to nothing, and unless you are a one-in-a-million who gets a lucky break and writes a 'Harry Potter' or a 'Shades of Grey', you won't make any money to speak of. Sure, do it as a hobby if you want, but it's far better to go for the richer pickings and higher odds of non-fiction. Non-fiction is easier to write, people are willing to pay more for it, and while you might not sell as many copies, (but I bet you'll sell more than a wannabe fiction writer with a trashy, badly written novel you''re trying to hawk on Kindle for 99p), you can set your royalty and make more per book. And you don't need to 'buy' a publisher - you set up as one yourself. It's so easy and it's even free.

3. vuvuzela

Technically, yes. But why would you tell anyone at school about your 'hobby'?

4. kellyocs

kellyocs New commenter

I am not seeing anything here about the time and effort teachers put into the work they do being anywhere near commensurate with the wage and working conditions they receive; and when was the last time any teacher got an up to date and classroom friendly textbook for free? Being semi-retired I also feel that I have a lifetime of skills and experience that could be useful to teachers who are still working in the classroom. I give free resources to teachers I have worked with and to my wife who is still a full time teacher but being out of paid work and not on a pension as yet will anyone begrudge me earning some pocket money selling my resources or is that too much like selling my soul?

5. MikeRichards

MikeRichards New commenter

Just like to add one point to this.

I'm currently on a break to look after my children while my wife qualifies to become a teacher.

I've used this time to upload a wide range of resources, I've produced over the last twenty or so years. About 15% are free, some samples, but some built from scratch which can be used alone, although they are linked to paid bundles.

Now that I'm not actually teaching, I can spend time the time on creating resources that I would have loved to, when teaching.

A lot of my resources are guided reading. I've picked these, for two reasons:.

Firstly, when I was working, there simply weren't any free resources of the same quality as the ones I produced. Last September, just before I resigned, I sat through a Guided reading training session where teachers were encouraged to use picture cards to teach reading. I understood why this was being advocated, since it takes time to read a book and write quality questions and answers linked to different chapters. But it is simply not as effective as having children read through a book and asking them questions tied to the old AFs.

Secondly, time. It takes me about eight hours (over two days) to produce a set of seven Question and answer sessions for a given book. To do this, I have to read the whole book and make up questions which meet the AFs. I charge £2 for each set, because I feel that £2 isn't much to ask a teacher for, if it saves them eight hours and means that the standard of reading of their pupils improves. And since, I used some of my original guided reading sets with as many as twenty different groups over ten years, in reality you're paying next to nothing for my hard work.

A final point, I have spent a lot of my own money on improving the chances of the children I have taught over the years, including trawling through weekly car boot sales to get sets of books for guided reading, and spent a lot of my free time making my own resources. If you don't want to buy resources then you simply have to make your own. If not, then it's up to you to decide how much you are willing to pay, in order to have more free time. It's the same reason that so many people pay for cleaners, dog walkers, gardeners etc. or buy takeaways etc. How much do you value your time?

6. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Bees in bonnets

7. wjhphysics

wjhphysics New commenter

The big problem with paying for resources is that you don't know what you are getting till you have paid and downloaded. During my PGCE year I occasionally paid for resources when I didn't have the time to prepare from scratch. At least 50% of the time the resources were of no use whatsoever and I had wasted my money. Philosophically I don't think teachers should be trying to profit from their colleagues. I will continue to provide resources for free.

Owen134866 and Dodros like this.
  8. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

You'd need to apply that philosophical point to SLT, trainers and consultants, unions, publishers etc. etc.

The quality thing is a definite problem.

You do however state the case for prepared resources though in that good ones do save time.

9. language_aids

language_aids New commenter

The reason for this is very obvious. If you can see how many times a product has been purchased, you can calculate the TES resources salary of the author who created it.

Last I heard, people's salaries are personal and private.

10. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

I really feel like this is still the best platform to get both FREE and premium resources. I find it really easy to search for both. But perhaps I am missing something. Are there other sites people can recommend where I can also download quality free ( and paid resources) like TES? Thanks for suggestions :)

Krazikas and A1EnglishResources like this.
  11. l.absalom

l.absalom New commenter

I have had this discussion many times with colleagues, some upset about the "free TES" being replaced with a "greedy " one. My answer will always be the same.... " when you take from the TES do you upload?" The answer to this question is always NO! So my stance is if we are a community of professionals all sharing, shouldn't we ALL share?
    I began charging for resources when I noticed others downloading lessons from here 3 or more times a day without ever "giving back."
    My motto is one free and one paid. I have far more free than paid at the moment but eventually it will even out. I spend a long time on the resources I make and I have up loaded many free resources. I do not feel bad about asking others to pay for the days I spend making 1 resource, I myself have spent a lot of my own money on resources I think are worth it.
    If you do not give then it is unreasonable to expect to receive, imagine if every teacher uploaded 3 resources they had made! We would have an enormous bank of expertise to draw from.
    At the end of the day if you do not agree with charging then do not buy :)

12. vuvuzela

I agree that there is a cycle of giving and receiving - very New Age! However if you play it right, your 'free' stuff should be a led-in to your 'paid' stuff and you should never feel bad about that.

13. soniakumar

soniakumar New commenter

Students

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I have to say that the whole culture of Resources has got so unpleasant that I've deleted all of mine. They were all free - there were several that were recommended by the TES, with tens of thousands of downloads each, but I had barely a handful of poor quality reviews, some of which were factually incorrect. It seems that not only do people expect you to do their job for them and give them resources, but when you do they just moan about them.

mrajlong likes this.
  15. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Unpleasant reviews for free resources are hard to understand. If you didn't like it, then don't use it. It was free and someone was kind enough to upload it. The least you can do is not leave negative comments!

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Why? Isn't the purpose of the review to inform other ppotential users?

17. mrajlong

Not if they leave a 1 star review, with no comment or an inaccurate comment as Jacques mentioned. There are also quite a lot of troll reviewers at the moment too.

I should also add I do not include constructive criticism in my previous comment :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  18. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Sorry, I read it that you did!
    i wonder if it is due to others trying to promote their own paid for resources?

19. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Yes - if people didn't like the resources then that would have been fair enough, but there were reviews that were complaining about the quality of a YouTube video I'd mentioned in the comment, and another saying that he'd only had a quick look. One review complained that some of the things in one of the resources were just hyperlinks, even though it was clear from the description that they were links to pages that I'd made myself. As mrajlong mentioned, the strangest ones were the two star reviews with no comment on resources that had only previously had five stars. It all seems a bit odd - as if the reviews were left by people with their own resources to sell.

20. mrajlong

That would be very unethical and not something I would ever do. However, not all authors on here are ethical....sadly :(

mathsmutt likes this.