1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Extinction Rebellion leaders: What you didn't know!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Apr 18, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A leading Extinction Rebellion activist who said that “air travel should only be used in emergencies” lives a jet-set lifestyle, taking skiing holidays, visiting global landmarks and enjoying walks along palm-tree lined paths.

Robin Boardman-Pattinson walked out of a television interview after being branded “incompetent, middle-class and self indulgent” by Sky’s Adam Boulton, but The Telegraph can reveal that climate change is not the only cause which he fights for.

The 21-year-old is a serial protestor, who has railed against Dominos Pizza, Bristol Magistrates court, Toby Young and Bromley Council.

He’s also campaigned against the expansion of Heathrow airport, supported Muslim women wearing Hijabs and Niqabs and asked for retail space in Bristol turned into a slave trade museum.

Worryingly, he also shared a post which calls the allegations of anti-semitism in the Labour party “a massive smear campaign against Jeremy Corbyn by the Netanyahuite supporters in the party and wider media/society.”

But while Mr Boardman-Pattinson rallies against climate change, he has taken at least three skiing holidays in recent years, and has posed for photographs in front of the leaning tower of Pisa. He was unavailable for comment.

But Mr Boardman-Pattinson is not the only protestor to have a coulourful campaign history.

Roger Hallam, who organised the Extinction Rebellion demonstrations has previously hosted at sit-down protest outside the London School of Economics demanding that they pay their cleaning staff a higher wage.

The 52-year-old is apparently researching a PhD in effective radical campaigning and once went on a two-week hunger strike in protest at King’s College London’s investments in fossil fuels, which they then agreed to phase out by the end of 2022.

Mr Hallam was keen to show his support of a spraypaint protest at the offices of The Sun in London Bridge, while he has also urged friends to sign a petition to lower rental costs for students at University College London.

In what he called “taking back our future”, Mr Hallam hosted a huge picnic in Green Park shortly after the referendum, to work out how to “stop Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson hijacking our democracy.”

On Tuesday, stood on top of a DLR train carriage at Canary Wharf station was mother-of-two Cathy Eastburn. Another popular figure on the rebel circuit, the charity worker was arrested during International Petroleum Week for her protestations at big energy companies.

Also employed as a yoga instructor, Ms Eastburn’s social media feeds show her attending demonstrations against David Cameron and Donald Trump, taking part in the Women’s march and the current climate change protests. Further back, are idyllic images from holidays in Paris, Budapest and Indonesian islands.

Gluing his hands to the doors of the DLR, causing disruption to thousands of city workers was Buddhist teacher Mark Ovland. A cult hero for baring his backside in Extinction Rebellion’s naked protest in Parliament, he has previously held a sit-in protest in Barclays bank in Piccadilly circus, urging them to stop investment in fracking firms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ion-leaders-jet-setter-buddhist-teacher-yoga/

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Or, what I am not at all surprised at and since I'm not easily led by the nose by such characters in terms of 'the latest lifestyle protest', I couldn't give a single hoot about, but thanks for sharing nevertheless.

sparklesparkle, lexus300 and nomad like this.
  3. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

They really are an embarrassing bunch. A bunch of upper middle class twits, lecturing us all through thinly veiled hypocrisy. They have nothing but contempt for us normal folk. Visa versa.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd say I was shocked.

But I'd be lying.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The climate crisis is almost certainly the most important issue we face today and the worst legacy we as leaving to our children and grandchildren.

I have no idea about the lifestyle of the man interviewed on sky, but I do know that some people have the tendency to try to discredit anyone with a message which will inconnvenience them in some way. It doesn't surprise me at all to see this OP.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Lock them up

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Typical. Only upper middle class twits with money can afford to mess about like this. Normal people have to get on with life or go to work. While I might sympathise with the cause, and hope David At distances himself from them, they go about if in the wrong way. "Lets disrupt public transport, its the alternative to killing the planet with your diesel 4X4!"

FormosaRed likes this.
  8. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

On the other hand, climate change does need to be taken more seriously and governments need to be more ambitious about it as well.

Mermaid7, FormosaRed and Burndenpark like this.
  9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Of course they do, but this sort of action just annoys ordinary people while getting publicity. Governments ignore things like this in our country. We don't have "Gilets Jaunes" here, it is not the British way. Take that how you wish.

10. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Not suggesting anything else. Although, I think in current times you might be wrong. Too many governments have been shocked by the political consequences of anti-establishment sentiment in recent years, they might start to pay more attention!

11. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I very much disapprove of the methods adopted by Extinction Rebellion but also wonder how much greater damage might have been done by climate change deniers with greater political power and influence.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't agree with the methods either but criticising someone because of what they used to do isn't fair if they have now rejected that lifestyle. If it's true about the man who is still jetting off skiing then that is clearly hypocritical.

colpee, Scintillant and chelsea2 like this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Of course they do, there is a lucrative taxation stream to access.

needabreak likes this.
  14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Talking of hypocritical, how many of us still jet off on holiday?

Scintillant likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'm ambivalent about what they are doing, but just wondering what else could they do which would generate publicity about these issues. It's only when protests, of whatever kind, have an impact on others that they become 'news'.

What other actions would give this kind of publicity?

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

[QUOTE="newposter Visa versa.[/QUOTE]

They're against credit cards too, then?

17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I posted this yesterday but it is worth watching for the way Adam Boulton calls this child out on his presumptions:

Extinction Rebellion have it posted on their YouTube channel like some kind of great trophy, the nerks.

FormosaRed likes this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

People on this thread: Instead of losing your **** over a few posh people, why not do something useful to help out?

Switch to a plant-based diet
    Fly less or stop flying
    Spread the word

Stop the gammony moaning and do something. There really is not any time to waste. And watch Attenborough tonight on Climate Change. That might help.

By the way, the country's already run by "posh" people and they've completely ****** things up.

19. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Mmmm...21 year old has '...taken at least three skiing holidays in recent years'; was that this year, last year or when he was 10? Same for the '...photographs in front of the leaning tower of Pisa'.

Reporting not even worthy of The Sun.

Burndenpark and InkyP like this.
  20. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

*just checking the latest outrage*.....oh fun, have we got to the death threats yet?

:rolleyes: