1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The expectations of a TA?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by M0rty, Nov 20, 2018.

1. M0rty

M0rty New commenter

I am a TA workng in a secondary school...been here for 13 years.
    My responsibilities and role have grown considerably: Developing and delivering lessons for 3 Nurture groups, life skills, home cooking Arts Award.Lead IV for home cooking. SEMH sessions with very vulnerable students. I am a LONE worker in all these aspects !The positives are I love my role, I am capable of fulfilling my role,I am given planning time. As well as the responsibilities mentioned I run and work Nurture clubs for breakfast and break and lunch duty supervision twice a week and homework lunch club once a week.Meeting outside professionals and parents are also an expectation as well as Boxall assessing,ELSA assessing.
    After asking for a job review as my role seems to be running away with my TA pay grade I have been met with nothing but patronizing obstacles.
    I am furious. My role is apparently within the parameters of a TA ,given my job is unique within this school it is difficult to compare to the HLTA'S here who do not have nearly the same responsibilities as myself.
    I am looking for some kind of leveler here from other professionals who may be able to relate to myself.
    Here I have three choices- put up with being stuck at point 22 of a TA scale.
    Let my beloved role be taken up by others ( a logistical nightmare for the SENCO), and go and work elsewhere.
    My performance management has not been completed for years and I have no recent job description,2011 was the last ,when my role was much different and I was actually supporting teachers , not delivering my own SOW.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi M0rty - what you are saying is something I have heard frequently from TAs who have been established at their schools for several years. The good news is that you love your job and have planning time - your school clearly value you. Many of the areas you describe are within a level 3 TA job description. However, developing your own schemes of work does seem to be over and above. You could try listing all of the responsibilities which you feel are over and above your JD and making a formal appointment with your line manager (SENCO?) to discuss it. Make notes at the meeting and send an email afterwards confirming what was said/agreed ….probably very little Also let them know that you will be discussing the matter with your union. Do contact the union for advice. The next step could be a letter to your HT, with a copy to your chair of governors and the union.

All of this requires a lot of thought before you embark on the process. It shouldn't make a difference to your professional relationship with SLT (I don't believe many schools would ask a teacher to accept such major changes to their role and responsibilities without at least considering the salary implications) - but it can. Hopefully the union will have good advice. There is a great deal to be said for being happy in your job; not everyone is so lucky, as you will know from many threads on here.

3. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I know how you’re feeling M0rty. I am “Head of Outdoor Learning” at my school. I run forest school and other Outdoor Learning provision at my school. I plan, assess, risk assess and lead, I have no additional support other than volunteers, which I rely heavily on. I love my job too but I don’t feel valued. I’m paid the same as all the level 3 TAs and have questioned this many times to be told that as I don’t take full classes it doesn’t entitle me to be classed and paid as a HLTA. It’s so frustrating, like you I love my job but it’s exhausting and I have a huge amount of responsibility but I don’t get the financial gain. I’m sorry that I can’t offer any advice, I’ve tried to have the conversations to no avail. It’s difficult cos they have you over a barrel, they know you love it and you are good at it. I really hope you are able to find a solution.