1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Establishment "looks after its own" 2 996/ 55 345

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Feb 13, 2020.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Out of date. As already discussed in another thread, NOBODY paid Johnson for his holiday. A cancellation meant that he got the villa for free. Do try to keep up!

3. BigFrankEM

LOL

Exactly as I said:

The Establishment "looks after its own."

Minor correction: now 2 997/ 55 346

Pip, pip !

4. florian gassmann

How do you know that the person who cancelled their booking, which Johnson then got for free, was a member of "the establishment"? Nobody knows who it was.

5. BigFrankEM

Perhaps it was the No10 postman?
    Binman?
    Charlady
    Cleaner?

Hil.....ARIOUS !!!

6. WB

WB Lead commenter

Last year a friend of my stayed overnight in the spare room as he was at a wedding nearby the following day.

A year earlier he let me stay in a caravan in Devon for a week for free.

I can afford the caravan. He can afford a night in hotel.

He's the thing... we're friends.

Why is this wrong?

How rich do you have to be before it's not OK to be kind to friends without asking for money?

LondonCanary likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

You don't know and so you just make things up. Are you Boris? :eek:

8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

It's called payment in kind. No cash may have changed hands but services in form the use of holiday accomodation were provided. Do try and keep up.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And Johnson has declared that in the Register of Members' Interests. Which is how we know about it.

So what is the problem?

florian gassmann likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

He's a proven liar.

I don't believe a word he says.

#lies
    #lyingliar
    #liarslie

11. florian gassmann

So you don't believe he stayed in a villa on Mustique, as he claims?
    Extraordinary. :rolleyes:

nomad likes this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In August 2018 Corbyn was reported to Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards following claims that he failed to declare who paid for his Tunisia trip in accordance with parliamentary requirements.

I'm April 2016 it was reported that Corbyn had failed to declare a third pension on his HMRC tax form, and this admission followed the news that he had also neglected to include his state pension or previous local government pension on his tax return.

I'm February 2019 Corbyn apologised "unreservedly" for failing to register a trip to New York paid for by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. He was investigated by Commons sleaze watchdogs after being accused of not declaring the visit which had taken place in 2014.

At least Johnson has registered the amount.

13. Scintillant

I think we know that politicians lie. That has never been in dispute.

Johnson has taken it to Olympic levels.

Here's today's:
    c. ten weeks ago:
    "I'm going to give you absolute categorical assurance that I will keep Sajid Javid as my Chancellor."

Boris Johnson says Sajid Javid is a "great guy" and doing a "fantastic job".

14. Scintillant

afterdark likes this.
  15. Scintillant

With plane tickets, photographs, a tan, and if he bought me a bottle of rum back, I might give him the benefit of the doubt on a good day...

16. BigFrankEM

When I look at the egregious credulity of a significant number of posters on this thread, I have 2 reactions:

i) Yes, I remember that was indeed the predominant ethos in most staff-rooms

ii) I'm amazed that Boris-of-the-stonking-majority only scored 43% of the popular vote.