1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The ephemeral nature of Personal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Has it occurred to you how much Personal has changed? The threads are so transitory. It's here today and gone tomorrow. And there is far more pressure to be serious, with the erstwhile Opinion posters looking around to see where they can discuss weighty matters. This is not a criticism, merely an observation. And it has become less of a place where you could ask what clothes to buy for a certain occasion or what colour you should paint your bedroom. It doesn't feel any more like the sort of place where you could be fluffy. What do you think?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I don't know about fluffy but there's lots of Grumpy and her friend Sticky.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It has changed and it has changed very quickly. However, I think that Personal in the dying months of old TES had changed too and was very slow. I'd be sorry if we lost the more futile threads about shoes/clothes/make-up as I always enjoy those. I'm not sorry if we have lost the obvious wind-up type of threads where posters end up getting sucked in. I think there is room for everyone and it's up to people to make it work.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It had occurred to me that there is much more movement on NuPersonal, which is an improvement on OldPersonal, which, as we all know, had been in a state of decay for some time prior to the changes on TES.

I'm sure that people can be as fluffy as they like on here, and that they'll get a response. However, I welcome the greater variety of threads these days.

I have noticed that one or two of the old timers from Opinion have shouted down one of two threads they clearly viewed as trivial, but it's up to others to respond to those threads, if they so wish.

Surely posters would not be hesitant to post "fluffy" threads for fear of adverse comment? I would hope not.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would not have thought so. I think most posters are able to hold their own. I'll post about clothes and shoes if I want to and don't really care that anyone think.

6. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I agree. However, Opinion did not ask to be scrapped...

7. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

Are you sure you bought your "outfit" in Monsoon?

Lascarina likes this.
  8. Rhoswen77

Grumpy is an informal Sticky: not official but adhering firmly anyway.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  9. Rhoswen77

I think they are intimidated by the more interesting posters who have migrated - for want of a better word - from Opinion.

10. Rhoswen77

But don't you think the "...Twist" threads were really flimsy and lacking in substance? Oh wait, this is Personal...

11. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Hey! I'll have a babycham.....

upload_2015-10-24_11-59-51.jpeg

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Lascarina, I'm really enjoying your posts and you're a prominent poster on nu-Personal, but I don't recall seeing you on old-Personal. Mind you, by the end, very few people visited at all.
    Threads being transitory is a good thing - it means more traffic. Nobody wants to see the same threads hanging about for weeks.
    Fluffy threads haven't disappeared; we could turn this whole place fluffy within 10 minutes if we wanted to, and to say we're intimidated by former Opinioneers is plain ridiculous.
    I do wonder why you hang out on here, rhoswen, if you find it so contemptible.

needabreak likes this.
  13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It's more lively than it used to be which can only be a good thing I think.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

I remember when all this were t'fields.

magic surf bus likes this.
  15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No,I don't think so.

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I post whatever I like and imagine everyone else does too. "Pressure to be serious" ???? i don't think so. There is more traffic, which is good. I never got that Personal was "fluffy" anyway. It is what it is. (Horrible cliche - sorry, but cliches have their uses)

bombaysapphire likes this.
  17. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

or just plan insulting (or Opinionlike)

Rhoswen clearly hasn't met some of the posters I have . Intimidated by a cyber personality? Nah. Never

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Why would anyone be intimidated? You probably won't see people face to face and even if you do, you might find common ground to discuss.

I like fluffy threads- I've started fluffy threads! I like more serious threads too. I object to people feeling it's ok to be gratuitously rude, but that happens less these days and anyway, you can ignore them now.

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Pretty much cross post @lizziescat! Great minds and all that!

lizziescat likes this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

They might be concerned that someone will report them to the police for expressing their opinion.

aspensquiver likes this.