1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The enormous turnip

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by need help!!!, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Can anybody help!!!
    we have been given The enormous turnip to do as part of our growing topic starting next week.We are in nursery. our reception teachers have decided that they want to do Jack and the beanstalk!!! (one of whom is also our FM!) has anyone got any ideas as we have never used this story as the main focus before. many thanks for your help!!!

2. Can anybody help!!!
    we have been given The enormous turnip to do as part of our growing topic starting next week.We are in nursery. our reception teachers have decided that they want to do Jack and the beanstalk!!! (one of whom is also our FM!) has anyone got any ideas as we have never used this story as the main focus before. many thanks for your help!!!

3. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Are you a teacher? Prehaps you can say that in the future you will choose your own texts for topic, all you need is the long term map and if they want to give medium term plans fine, otherwise do your own. I couldnt stand someone telling me I must use this text.

Anyway it is a lovely story that you will get a lot out of. Although we actually do this story around harvest time as I feel more appropriate.

link to (forces) push and pull .......pulling turnip out, pushing seeds in
    senses/ explore inside and outside of various fruit and veg
    Set out a variety of plastic fruits and vegetable. Set up a shopping area with carts, cash registers, and play money. Provide a balance scale for children to weigh the produce
    sort into venn diagram fruit or veg

link to healthy eating

maths/ shape/growth... counting all the people who try to help pull out

cll... sequence story, enact story...lovely outside/ role play story, set up farm, planting area, kitchen etc...
    After reading the story "The Great Big Enormous Turnip",
    dramatize the story. Pass out identifying pieces of clothing for each character. Hats work well for people and collars or signs for the animals. Retell the story, letting the children act the story out. Use as many characters as you have children. This would be a good outdoors activity.

Pair children and tell them to face each other holding hands. One child, pretending to be the farmer, stands straight. The other child pretending to be a turnip, squats.

The farmers chant:

Grow little turnip,
    grow sweet.
    Grow little turnip,
    grow strong.
    I'll pull and pull
    and pull and pull,
    'Til you pop right
    out of the ground.

On the last line, the turnip pops up and the farmer squats down. Let children change partners after each round
    Cut ten large potato shapes from brown construction paper and number them from 1 to 10. Tape the shapes to the floor in from number 1 to 10. Let the children take turns hopping from one potato to the next as everyone chants the rhyme below.

One potato, two potato,
    Three potato, four,
    Five potato, six potato,
    Seven potato, more,
    Eight potato, nine potato,
    Here is ten.
    Now let's start all over again.

you could do the above outside

4. Thanks cinderella1 this is brill. it was very last minute for us!!! and no we are not teachers! just nursery nurses (or thats how we are seen)although we have a senior doesnt make a fat lot of difference!! we do as our FM tells us!!! something like that!!!. but our hearts are for the kids 150% regardless of if we are NN or teachers so you put up with alot. thanks again x x

5. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Hi, sparkle has some story picture cards that you could use for sequencing or getting the children to tell their own version of the story.

6. Thats great Crystalsecrets just down loaded them!! thanks x x

7. sadika

sadika New commenter

The big book "The Enormous Watermelon" is a variation on this and has nursery rhyme characters helping Old Mother Hubbard to pull it up - good opportunities for using nursery rhymes.

8. Hi, i'm an NQT, would also appreciate it if i could download the sequencing cards for the 'Enormous Turnip' story.

9. Please do not use ********** resources. I would be surprised if many schools still sanctioned their use.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6033403

10. Apologies to 'sparkle' do not confuse the two.
    '**********' is the resource site to be avoided.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why on earth did the new site make such a rod for its own back?
    Talk about stupid!

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

To the tune of the Volga Boatman:

Yo-ho heave ho
    Yo-ho heave ho
    Pull that turnip
    [WHOOPS!]
    Over we go!

Look up the tune.