1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The enforced extra period

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Oldfashioned, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Purely from experience of several schools of the past few years, I have found that extra lessons at the end of the day actually detract from the day to day lessons. I have observed that students feel they can socialize and avoid work in regular lessons because they see the revision lesson, period 6/7 or whatever the school calls it as the real revision lesson.

I watch schools in a panic essentially forcing teachers to run these classes and demanding students attend. I have always thought that if they simply did what was asked in class there would be no need for any extra sessions. I feel that this approach dilutes the learning, rather than enhances it.

Is it just me?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's me too...:D

But we may be in a minority! :eek:

drek, hammie, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Couldn't agree more. If a school/teacher can't get it right during normal lesson time then an extra one after school isn't going to be much help. Of course it wouldn't happen if the teachers didn't let themselves be forced. Their response to SLT should be that quote from the good book go thou forth and multiply, but in just two words.

4. Oldfashioned

That's three of us then, good.

I genuinely believe my regular lessons are more then enough and refuse to do extra. I'll happily set revision tasks to be done at home but this hand holding and enforced extra time is not for me.

henrypm0, hammie, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  5. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I have seen this in many schools in the last few years. This only rarely existed if I think back to four or five years ago. This is another example of a task that causes excessive teacher workload. SLTs do not understand or care about the impact on workload and employee wellbeing of extending the day in this way.

6. Oldfashioned

True.

It demonstrates a total lack of understanding of how children work and how this impacts on staff. Shame on schools that implement these ridiculous things.

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

It's not just staff workload - my daughter arrives home from school in a zombie-like state at the end of a normal school day, so I doubt that anything she'd be told in an extra hour of school would actually sink in.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

After school 'revision sessions' often give the students the idea that lessons during the normal school day do not matter.

9. Oldfashioned

this has been my experience

agathamorse likes this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Absolutely agree.

A drop-in session where those who need help on a specific topic is one thing but obligatory, routine extra classes absolutely not.

If you can't get it done in class time, then either your timetable is sh!te, your teachers are sh!te or your kids are lazy sh!ites.

Or one other possibility is that management is sh!te and allows disruptive kids to prevent learning in normal lesson time.

A good school doesn't need to do this.

11. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

I worked in a so-called "outstanding" school...

One day during Period 3 around October-time I had from my Year11 class:
    "Sir when will the revision lessons be?"
    "Right here, right now."
    Silence while mental cogs whirred...
    "So there aren't going to be any?"
    "Nope. This lesson is it for this topic. Any problems see me during a lunchtime."

A while later I was buttoned-holed by one of the SLT who relayed to me his wry amusement at the delegation of Yr11's who had been to see him complaining about the lack of revision lessons.

He totally backed my position...

But I cant help wondering how different the story would have been had some "lawnmower parents" got involved or if SLT had been more subservient. Fortunate also that the results turned out to be decent.

Just before I left the English department had a bad year results wise, (I assume due to the poor cohort as that was all that had changed, same staff, same syllabus, and we in science just scraped over the bar with that lot) and so next year they were under the cosh from SLT doing all the revision and extra period things.

This and so many other problems seem to stem from the over-arching importance attached to exam results, yet without acknowledging that there are so many factors APART from the a teacher's competence that affect them.

12. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Nothing official has happened yet at my gaff, but the other day our SLT used the phrase 'Period 6' for the first time and I felt a mote of fear and apprehension.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  13. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Perfectly summed up. Probably a mixture of all of the above.

I've also noticed one very bad effect of this. On occasion kids who would otherwise be having a one-on-one session with a good tutor, decide that they no longer need this: or have had enough extra lessons. And before the back-biters get going, I'm not saying this to drum up extra business.

woollani and agathamorse like this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No. it's not just you. I always found that as soon as you offered after school or catch up sessions then many students thought, ' Good, we needn't do anything in class, we can just do the catch up sessions which will just teach us what we need to know for the exams and we can ignore all the other stuff.' Perhaps if there was just the proper lessons, students might pay more attention first time around.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I always said to my students that I wouldn't be doing any revision sessions but I was always available at lunchtime for help with specific difficulties not 'I didn't get electricity' where they just want free tuition on a whole topic. Needless to say I had many free and uninterrupted lunch breaks.

drek, agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  16. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher New commenter

Glad slt backed you. I didn't mind doing them, especially extra time for practical coursework (DT) if the students wanted to by there.

I got hauled over the coals by a young member of slt one day for kicking 5 or 6 trouble makers out of a revision session. They were there to disrupt, nothing else. I pointed out that whilst compulsory for the students, they were voluntary for staff (ie, over and above our directed time), and as such if they were going to mess around I wasn't volunteering my time for them. Of course, I got the old "you're not making it interesting enough for them..."
    The next week they were excluded for disrupting the revision session the same member of slt was taking.
    I bit my tongue....

ATfan, tenpast7, bevdex and 9 others like this.
  17. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

I do not offer extra classes either.

woollani and agathamorse like this.
  18. Oldfashioned

nice to see I am definitely not the only one.

I'll stick to teaching properly during the normal timetable.

Shedman, woollani and agathamorse like this.
  19. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

No OF you are not. I always thought of tbem as a waste of precious time and I had absolutely no patience with would be disrupters.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Year before this one I was doing a medium term supply job in a boys' school. I offered to do an hour each week after school. I posted a list of topics I would cover and the date of each session. The list was circulated to all yr 11 groups not just my own and posted in each lab. In 12 weeks I only had one pupil turn up for one session.

agathamorse likes this.