1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of the world is nigh?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by PlymouthMaid, Mar 13, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well for starters I'd like to have known I'm going to die tomorrow - when did you hear that? Plus I've already had my tea - how can I eat, drink and be merry now?

Thanks a bunch for that little nugget of info - that's my whole evening b*ggered.

2. I've just watched CNN for the last hour, Japan, Bahrain and Libya. Throws a different light on things when returning here. For those villagers in Japan, many caught up in Libya, a few so far in Bahrain, the end of their world was nigh. Puts things in a different perspective...........

3. To each creature, their lifespan appears equal.
    A mayfly in 24 hours, experiences the same relative time as an elephant in 70 years or a giant tortoise in 300. (all numbers made up for the purposed of this enrty)

As life on earth only happened relatively recently, the earth may only have just cottoned on to the fact that it is here and in the same way that you or I might feel a little under the weather for a few days before the rash appears, the earth has been feeling a bit poorly for several thousand years and now has noticed the spots.
    We are planetary chickenpox and the earth has just started scratching, there is not a tub of calamine lotion big enough to help, so until we are all scratched out, mother earth is going to keep on itching.
    I was told in jest once that Life is a sexually transmitted disease and in a way there is some truth in that.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've found myself wondering if the sole purpose of humankind is to act like a sort of planetary bacteria that converts fossil carbon into atmospheric carbon in order to take Earth to the next stage of its evolution. I think we have a very overblown sense of our own importance as a species, especially in our assumption that The Creator made us in their own image.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I imagine the chickenpox era has passed. The surface of the planet was bombarded by space debris and left huge craters that pockmark the surface to this day. A relatively youthful affliction. I imagine humans are more like cancerous cells, multiplying grotesquely and only out for themselves. Utterly parasitic. Just like cancer, we will kill our gracious host and die with it.
    Cheery wee thought for a Wednesday [​IMG]

6. Things do seem to be gathering pace but towards what I don't want to know [​IMG].

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

The conceit of people thinking their doings affect what happens [and has always happened] far below the earth's surface is unbelievable.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter