1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of the world is nigh?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by PlymouthMaid, Mar 13, 2011.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Does anybody feel like this lately. All the massive natural disasters, the millions of dead fish and birds recently, the Japanese nuclear catastrophe? It really seems as though for whatever reason this planet is going through a period of unprecedented turmoil and we are all doomed within a few years. In my strange little head, it seems to be a little pointless making long term plans right now even 'though I am lucky enough to live in the UK which so far has been immune to this kind of thing.

By the way, not posted this on opinion as I am not up to their rigorous standards of argument, , just a lightweight, me.

2. PlymouthMaid

Does anybody feel like this lately. All the massive natural disasters, the millions of dead fish and birds recently, the Japanese nuclear catastrophe? It really seems as though for whatever reason this planet is going through a period of unprecedented turmoil and we are all doomed within a few years. In my strange little head, it seems to be a little pointless making long term plans right now even 'though I am lucky enough to live in the UK which so far has been immune to this kind of thing.

By the way, not posted this on opinion as I am not up to their rigorous standards of argument, , just a lightweight, me.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

If that is the way you feel, then you'd better stick to collections of short stories rather than novels.

4. I did find myself pondering this earlier. I realised though, through watching the footage of the resilience of the Japanese people, that we humans will always do forward planning. We cling onto tiny shreds of hope because of our resilience. It takes a lot to beat us!
    Just think of all of the natural and man-made disasters through history and the way we've recovered... we blimin' great, us humans[​IMG]

5. PlymouthMaid

I am a fast reader Doom so that isn't a problem lol

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Read The Mayan Chronicles, Nostradamus, the Bible, The predictions of Gildas, all seem to predict this is what will happen just before the world ends. However on a more positive note, many say it means the world will end as we know it.

7. PlymouthMaid

Not sure that is a comfort Lapin - it could be a few politicians climbing out of their bunkers to share the world with a population of cockroaches.

8. y4me

y4me New commenter

Totally agree with the end of the world opinion!
    NATURAL DISASTERS:
    Earthquake in Haiti
    Eruption of Eyjaffookll whatever volcano in Iceland
    Floods in Australia
    Earthquake in New Zealand
    Earthquake in Japan, followed by tsunami and nuclear problems
    ...And all in the last year or so...

I predict a massive earthquake in California (long overdue, I believe) and the eruption of Vesuvius (also, I believe due around about now - ish).

Not to mention the man made troubles in the Middle East - just like the domino effect, spreading from country to country.

And the economic mess.

Plus, on a more personal level, so many people I know of being struck down with horrendous illnesses or death in the last few years in my locality.

9. No.
    The world has always gone through natural disasters, wars, starvation, economic crisis, illness, violence, etc.
    It is just that we now see more of it since we have immediate media.

10. The end of people might not be such a terrible thing. This documentary, 'Life After Man' is quite enjoyable.

11. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Which means we can watch live coverage 24/7 - therefore giving the impression that it is happening more often.
    Who now remembers the Kobe earthquake, 1995 or the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in '91? We didn't have 24 hour news programmes then - or the ubiquitous mobile phone footage.
    Totally agree with you, CQ.

12. PlymouthMaid

I agree with you Coffeekid, the planet will get along very well indeed without us. I just hope we dont pollute it so badly that all creatures can't survive too.

13. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Some organisms are amazingly resilient.
    As for the rest, our world has always been restless, it seems to come in cycles and then it will "calm down" for a while, but as others (henriette??) have said because of 24/7 rolling news it just seems more often.

14. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Mother Nature is always a right moody beeyatch - the latest round of natural disasters is nothing new, just getting greater coverage (dare I say because the visual impact of disasters hitting developed nations makes for far better TV)
    Gujarat earthquake India - ~19,700 dead
    Europe Heat Waves- 35,000 dead
    Iran Earthquake- 31,000 to 43,000 dead
    Hurricane Jeanne- 3,037 dead
    Asian Tsunami- 225,000 to 275,000 dead
    Hurricane Katrina- 1,836 dead
    Hurricane Stan- 1,598 dead
    Pakistan Earthquake- 75,000 dead
    Burma (Myanmar) Cyclone- 146,000 dead
    China Earthquake- 70,000 dead
    Global Swine Flu- 11,800 dead
    Haiti Earthquake- 316,000+ dead
    Chile Earthquake- 750 dead
    Iceland Volcanic eruption
    Pakistan Flooding- 1,800 dead
    Tibet earthquake-2220 dead

15. I predict a massive earthquake in California (long overdue, I believe) and the eruption of Vesuvius (also, I believe due around about now - ish).
    I agree about California - when one side of the Ring Of Fiore starts kicking off I wonder if it triggers activity on the other side (i.e. don't know if it does or not). I was peering into the rim of Vesuvius only six months ago and it was as dead as a doornail. Not a puff of steam, not a whiff of sulphur.
    Seismic activity has always been a feature of life on earth. There are just more people living in heavy-masonry buildings than there used to be. Plus the meeja of course.
    My JW friends are rubbing their hands in glee. The End Times are here. Apparently.

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Goodo, I won't have to worry about my pension [​IMG]

17. PlymouthMaid

There is always a silver lining Marshy :) I was thinking along the lines of, 'might as well have that other slice of cake'. Come the apocalypse, nobody will care if I am 22 stone.

18. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It might help with the post-apocalyptic winter ;)

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Even if the apocalypse comes there will be survivors:

Cockroaches

Keith Richards

Chuck Norris

Tonka Toys

Bruce Forsyth

Some tw*t who'll crawl out of the rubble and try to impose a management structure and appraisal system on it all.

My preferred post-apocalyptic scenario is the 'Mad Max' model, where those of us who survive get to dress up as bondage punks and go hurtling round the desert in grungy old dune buggies - that has a certain appeal.

20. What makes you think you'll be one of them???????