1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of the road

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lampost, Oct 15, 2011.

1. A family gathering tonight has turned into a summit meeting with me as sole discussion - my family have been my biggests supporters encouraging me to do my PGCE
    Tonight they have suggested that I should probably get a non teaching job as Teaching hasnt worked out for me and considering I have had all these interviews (over 30) I mustn't be any good as even supply agencies are not giving me any work
    infact I quote "face it, if you weren't rubbish, you would have a job"
    I finished my PGCE in 2009, have one term NQT with all obs in the outstanding bracket (not a boast, just true) Im also above 30 so difficult to start again!
    I am beginning to believe them - at interviews I am given the same spiel every one about not having enough experience, it was a close second, you have the wrong PGCE - its related, but not specific enough
    Its not my applications and I cant do any more on interview days apart from have a hissy fit on the floor and begging!
    I love teaching, its the best thing I did and I am mising it more and more the further away out of my hands it seems to be
    But is it time to quit and try and get a job in a supermarket as I quote again " You may be too rubbish for that too"

I dont know where to go from here, I am stuck betweena rock and a hard place

Lampost xxx

2. I'm sorry to hear this. Yes family can heap even more pressure on, I would personally not listen to mine. I do what I want to do and so should you so if you still want to teach then teach.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tough, really tough.
    1) Are you getting interviews? If not, your applications need to be improved - read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    2) Are you getting interviews but not the job? Then it's your interview technique that needs polishing. Read the interview clickables in the Welcome thread, and get some interview practice.
    You might also like to suggest to your family that they all chip in to pay for you to attend one of the seminars or a one-to-one, instead of saying that you're no good. Don't they know about over-supply of teachers and 100-200 applying for some jobs?
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So sorry lampost.
    As Theo says, like many people out there in the 'big world', they are oblivious to the true situation in teaching at present. They do not know about over-supply of teachers and 100-200 applying for some jobs?
    No, you are NOT rubbish. There are many very skilled teachers out there unemployed at present.
    Keep believing in yourself, after all you got outstanding in obs.
    Though I do understand it is difficult if your parents are helping you out through this time, but <u>in this case</u> they are not right.
    Look again at Theo's advice and see about going on one of the courses. You ARE getting interviews so you are doing something right.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Wow you really can't choose your family can you?! How awful!
    IT IS NOT YOU, its the situation. Forget teaching ALL jobs are especially difficult to get at the moment. I had 3 friends laid off this past month from defence, design & manufacturing sectors.
    The best thing you can do is proove them wrong, keep going, even if you need to do something else to cover the bills keep going, keep applying! Make and upload some wonderful resources and as well as being able to show them off at interview you may get invited to the TES awards, its a great day and will make your realise that you are a good teacher, might meet some good contacts too.
    Big hugs, and strong words to your family for being so mean! x

6. Sorry to hear this.
    People realise how difficult a teaching interview can be. Most of my family and friends think it just an 30 mins interview.
    They dont realise you have to plan and teach a lesson, have a tour of the school, meet with student council, the staff and THEN the formal interview. All this and your competing againist other teachers, job hunting can be very stressful
    My dad thought i All i can say if teaching is your dream then keep trying. Good Luck