1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of the road?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by marshypops, May 28, 2011.

1. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

The deadline is for resignations, and there will be some every year, this means you have every chance to secure a job for September. I'd be concerned about the reference you are getting from your HT as you seem to be securing interviews but not getting any further and your interview technique may need looking at.
    Don't be sorry, you're here for support and reassurance. I hope that I've provided some :)

2. Thank you.
    My reference seems to be okay, it's getting me through to interviews at any rate, but the competition has always just been too intense. As such I've had feedback that hasn't been very telling - just that I appear lovely, they really enjoyed meeting me, my lessons are excellent but someone was always better.
    I'm not convinced anything else will come up (mainscale posts will go to NQTs and are temp. contracts - I would have to explain why I was exchanging a permanent contract with a high TLR for a mps temporary post.) Also there is expense to consider.
    Thank you for replying, I'm sorry if I sound negative at the moment.

3. inq

inq

Can you get registered with a supply agency as then you can say personal circumstances made you resign but there won't be a gap as you've got supply. The supply work would get you known in a few schools, would help the money situation a bit, get different experiences and if you really didn't feel up to it you wouldn't have to take it.

Hope things look better soon.

4. Thanks. I don't think there is any supply here really and I'd still have to explain why I gave up and I can't.
    I think I have reached the end.

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

You can always say you gave up for family reasons, most won't ask about it. Don't know where you are or what you do but start by signing up for email alerts from TES for your area. Then read the advice about applying for jobs on TES. It won't stop you from being negative but if you want to stop feeling negative then it is a start. So what if it's a temporary contract?! It's getting you out of a situation and you might be lucky and find a nice job somewhere.

6. I think honesty is the best policy re explaining why you left your last job. You were subject to an assault - that's a good enough reason to leave any job!
    If you're suffering panic attacks and anxiety, I would suggest a trip to your doctor. You can get meds to help with these conditions. You will probably start feeling a bit better and more able to cope with interviews.

7. Can I just say that though this will be no comfort, myself included and many others have been at this point too in their working careers.
    I suggest looking at a broader picture first - would you want to stay in the field of educating in any form?
    Once you have decided that it is easier to think of ways forward.
    If yes, look at what other areas you could work in - maybe not classroom based either. Maybe change sector/phase. Look at what you DO like and look for that in new jobs - not necessarily anothe rteaching job becuase that's what you know...
    Alternatively - take a break from teaching.education altogether - accept you may lose out financially and on holidays etc - but you won't have the same issues you currently face...
    This situation need not be the end of the world if you take it as a new opportunity....
    I did it an love my job - now - I changed everything about the job I hated and am so glad - and cannot understand why I didn't do it sooner tbh!
    The world's your oyster....

8. I would agree with Miss P above - it is an opportunity. I changed from Primary to Prison teaching.
    It's amazing here - has its own challenges BUT none of the **** of what I hated before tbh.
    Think about looking elsewhere out of the normal sphere you normally look in for new jobs. My current job sums up why I came into teaching; I had lost that in the last few years of my previous job.
    Good luck - it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom![​IMG]

9. becky70

becky70 New commenter

It's not easy to get another post when you leave without a job to go to - I have been in this position too. You may still get a temp post - if you are offered one then accept it as you don't know what it might lead to.
    However, you're not in a good place right now and that's hard when you're trying to sell yourself. You need some other options - you say there is no supply - you need to confirm this for sure as supply may well be your best chance of getting another job. There are also options such as tutoring and exam marking. It might be worth calculating how much you need to keep your home and see if there is any chance of you making this money through other means.
    I found Teacher Support Network brilliant during my darkest days so do contact them and/or see if you can get counselling through your GP. Life will get better but you need some support at the moment.
    I found formal applications a waste of time but I did get a job in a school where I did supply. I'm one of many who has been through this and now earns their living happily but at the time you can't see how you will get there.

10. It seems a long time since I posted this thread, and even longer since I posted my original thread over the Easter holidays.
    I managed to struggle on and eventually was offered a post as head of department at another school, so I even managed to be promoted. I now have one week left in my current school and although I still have anxiety over going in, this is manageable now I have a job to go to.
    I am updating partly so that others in my situation can see there is hope, that you can keep going even if it means working on your last reserves of strength. I truly believed there was no way out, that I'd ended my career and that I was going to lose everything but I haven't - and I've even gained a little.
    I'm also updating because despite that positive paragraph I have a terrible sadness which won't go away. I suspect the events of the last six months are catching up with me. I feel like crying. I was meant to see some friends tonight but I don't feel up to it. I wonder why.
    Thank you for your support.

11. But since posting this I have a new job out of teaching ............... and I am happier now than I have ever been !!!!!

12. Oh well done ff392, I'm really happy for you [​IMG]
    I should be so happy, I'm not sure why I'm not, but I need to look forward rather than back. But HOW do you do that? How do you stop yourself thinking back on what was rather than what will be?
    I really like the children at my present school, I'll miss them a lot. I was only just beginning to establish myself.

13. Cattia, that 'sadness' might or might not be significant. Maybe you should consider a visit to the doctor just to run it past him. It sounds a bit like depression/angst. Congrats on the new job by the way.

14. becky70

becky70 New commenter

It takes a long time to recover from painful experiences like the ones you've had. Take it one day at a time and don't be afraid to cry - it will help. My bad days were three years ago but I still feel twinges of sadness and anger about how I was treated.
    Well done on your new job and hope it goes really well. I had to spend a couple of years on supply before getting a new job but when I finally got one it helped so much because I had new children and colleagues to focus on.