1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of PGCEs ?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Kertesz, Feb 9, 2012.

1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16944873

2. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16944873

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I saw that at work today, it's shocking! Whilst I do think we might be training too many people at the moment that doesn't mean to say that we should axe PGCEs completely!

4. I take issue with a couple of things here. Firstly, the number of children in secondary education might be falling, but in primary numbers are rising. Surely the govt can't be THAT short sighted, and be able to work out that eventually these large primary cohorts will turn into large secondary cohorts.

Secondly, ' the taxpayer would rightly ask questions if we continued to train people who had no jobs to go to.'- already happening!

5. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

The article is interesting in that Mr Gove is forcing another of his reforms onto education, in that Mr Gove prefers the training schools system, instead of the universities based, which detailed research and a sharing of experiences from trainee teachers. Also what I find interesting his the comment that we will need fewer secondary teachers due to falling secondary numbers, if that is the case, why is the Dept of Education saying we have a shortage of teachers in certain regions and that is why we must allow OTT from certain countries to teach, that is why we must allow schools and academies to use unqualified staff and that is why the TDA is looking to train another 34,000 plus teachers this year.

The one benefit may be that it will create more opportunities for the thousands of unemployed teachers, within the next few years (for those of us, that are still in education)that Mr Gove, Nick Gibb, The Dept of Education says does not exist.

6. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

There is no real shortage of teachers in most subjects, at least not any more. In physics and maths, in some parts of the country, yes there is a shortage, but certainly not in all. My friend works in a school in West Yorkshire as a maths teacher and there were over 50 people applied for one job. Shortage? Definitely not.
    However, there have been articles recently about how there has been a mini baby boom and that there will be an extra 400,000-odd primary places needed by 2014 (or something like that). They will eventually work their way up to secondary school so in 10 years or so, there will be a big rise in secondary school pupil numbers.
    It will be interesting to see if the rise in tuition fees has put some people off studying for a PGCE or BEd, and especially since they have pretty much done away with the bursaries (except for physics, maths, chemistry and MFL people with firsts).
    Those that are undertaking a PGCE in September, I hope you've done your homework cos the teaching job situation is dire. Very dire.

7. As a hopeful teacher, you are probably exposed to teachers with permanent contracts (many of whom are clueless about the real job market) college websites "95% of our PGCE students are in employment" (what is meant by the term 'employment'? ) or various rumours which our out of date "There is a shortage of Stuffology teachers" Sadly, they aren't likely to be picking through the stats section of the DFE and GTCE websites, putting together tables of what is what, or looking at internet waybackmachine copies of local job pages to realise that there were hardly any jobs advertised last year........ They will learn to be more diligent in future! lol

8. My PGCE is on e-bay for those who want it!

9. Very amusing. I thought I'd type PGCE into eBay and see what came up. People selling assignments. I have insufficent energy for a rant now.

10. I am/was an M6 supply. P.G.C.E. is now, for me, a pointless qualification as it no longer provides me with work. To me, a profession requires a worker to have a qualification which sets them apart and provides a safeguard or a standard. In my present situation (too expensive after 12 weeks due to agency worker regulations) I would have been better off getting a CSCS card so I could be a building site labourer or an SIA card so I could work in security or a FLT licence to work in a warehouse or an HGV licence to drive lorries or a PSV licence to drive buses etc. etc. etc.
    The one occupation which requires me to have only a Maths and English GCSE is standing in front of a class of children teaching and anyone who says cover supervisors do not teach does not have to work a ten hour shift and then come home to teach their own daughter Science because the combination of cover supervisor, teacher going on maternity leave and NQT supply teacher cannot be bothered to teach her the basic syllabus. The school seems to think that the A*/A* module result in her GCSE is due to them!