1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of out-door play in the UK?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by colinbillett, Mar 25, 2016.

1. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

I too remember playing out 'til dark, it was encouraged to get us out from under our moms' feet probably. Speaking as a parent today I admit I haven't encouraged my own kids because it seems so risky. There is such an increase in traffic that makes cycling dangerous, but the main worry I have is other kids. There is a wonderful common near here but groups/gangs of kids congregate there. Children seem more aggressive these days plus if you buy your kid a bike it's likely to be taken off them.

colinbillett likes this.
  3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

My two 11 and 13 have been outside all today.

Had to call my daughter in about an hour ago as it was getting dark and my son's been out playing football since 11am.

Yes they do spend time of games consoles / ipads but it seems that as soon as the weather picks up they're out and about.

I positively encourage it.

colinbillett and lindenlea like this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Depends where you live!

colinbillett, lindenlea and katykook like this.
  5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Indeed. I've just got home and as I parked there were three young teenagers lying on the grass verge. One was a neighbour and ex-pupil and called out to say hello perfectly pleasantly, one of the others knew me although I couldn't see her in the dark. All quite safe here but it wouldn't be like that everywhere.

colinbillett likes this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

The kids that play around here tend to steal bikes and egg cars...

colinbillett likes this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I don't believe it. On an average day most children get more time than that outside at school. Obviously though, in bleakest wettest mid-winter a large proportion stay in more.

More believable IMO is:
    "a government report in February that found more than one in nine children had not set foot in a park, forest, beach or any other natural environment for at least a year."

It has ever been so for the urban poor.

colinbillett likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

....especially the children who have parents as teachers.

Didn't always get out as much as I wanted when Phlogistette was younger. However, she spelt the end to holidays spent just climbing mountains.

colinbillett likes this.
  9. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Aren't we striving to be be like Singapore the Mecca of all societies and education systems? There the average time a child spends outside per day is 30 minutes, still a way to go until we reach it. Yesterday my daughter and I were outside in our garden for a good hour and a half as she "helped" me with the gardening and then we spend another hour and a half at the park. She then fell asleep on the sofa otherwise we'd have been out on the bike again.

colinbillett likes this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

As a DT teacher I find kids manual skills, apart from twiddling x-box controllers, are non-existent. When we were kids we'd make dens, fiddle with bikes, make trolleys from old pram wheels, sledges and we'd all be able to use garden tools because our dads would have allotments. A lot of quite senior students have no idea about using hand tools because apart from playing school sport they never go out.

colinbillett likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well done on doing these outdoor activities with your daughter. She's a lucky girl.

colinbillett likes this.