1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of British curriculum in international schools.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ravenscroft2, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

We don’t require any GCSEs for entry onto a uni course. Indeed we can offer any place we want. Unconditional entries and all that. No problem. One, we are a product, so we need to sell our courses to people who can do them. Two, we offer mature people places on courses without traditional entry qualifications. We can do all of this and more. You 'need' to be able to convince the uni to offer you a place - not require specific qualifications.

All this A level or IB stuff is old hat really. If anything, we prefer the IB.

2. dandad3

dandad3 New commenter

How about using a-levels to train and prepare students for IB?
    An International School I have spoken to gets the students to do AS level Mathematics in the IGCSE year and then students start the IBDP course in the following year.
    Questions from Paper 5 InternationalAlevel Physics can be submitted as assessed IBDP investigations. We can argue that a personal engagement should be evidenced but engagement can be there in pretence.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you have 16 year old students from the standard American School System, Students from EYP/MYP and place then in an A level School they will be totally lost.

Students from English Curriculum KS3,4 placed in IB or American High School will have no problems.

4. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

And why do you think this?

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Had first hand experience!

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i have have had to complete opposite first hand experience.

7. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

I meant...why do you think the students can or can't cope?