1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The end of British curriculum in international schools.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ravenscroft2, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ravenscroft2

ravenscroft2 New commenter

I am now an on line teacher. Which is the most creative post I have held in 30 years!
    I was recently invited to contribute to a webinar regarding the challenges facing British curriculum schools in Spain. The central government in Madrid is raising the points score for entry into Spanish universities to the equivalent of 4 'B' s at A level, and this will be a big ask for many Spanish students.
    Will this mean Spanish students will opt for public schools and the loss of school fees (and profit margins ) be the demise of most of the British schools in Spain ?

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I can't see English curriculum schools disappearing world wide. There is still demand for them.

I don't quite see why the increase in points to entry to Spanish universities would spell the end of international schools in Spain. Surely the type of school isn't going to make that big a difference in how well these students do in their exams.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I just don't see the issue here.

thattallteacher likes this.
  3. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Possibly. It's certainly true that at our British Curriculum School in Spain there is a shrinkage in the cohort - Years 12 and 13 are significantly smaller than Years 11 and 10 (while Year 6 is the largest of all).

However, what will save British Curriculum Schools is the reputation of British Universities. As long as these are a desireable and viable desitination for tertiary education, parents worldwide (that can afford it) will want their students to do A levels as this is the most straight-forward route into the UK Education system. After all, when compared to countries like Spain, UK Universities sit some 100 places higher up the global rankings. So, the real danger is the Tories continuing to demonise the tiny minority of foreign students who stay behind after completing their degrees, thus putting off future applicants...

ejclibrarian likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i think its a lot simpler than that, English is the unofficial language of the world. its the language of the internet, business, etc. the people who can afford to send these kids to private schools are usually successful, well travelled people who see the value of being connected to the rest of the world...dont tell that to an brexiteer, they will be mortified with their "tiny island" attitude and view.

5. february31st

february31st Established commenter

English is also spoken in America, so basically the world is learning American English and not English English.

6. dumbbells66

probably why the IB is doing so much better than the British schools then :)

the IB has seen a massive expansion in North America in the last few years.

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

That's an interesting angle. On the occasions when I've failed to dodge a conversation with Brexiteers, I find that they tend to have more of a "tiny continent" viewpoint.

8. february31st

Basically the IB model is similar to the America High School Diploma and is straight forward exchange. American students can't hack the high standards of A Levels anyway.

9. dumbbells66

i would completely disagree with you @february31st, wholeheartedly

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

The main challenge facing International schools in Spain is the low salaries paid to teachers. Salary is the number one reason why they cannot recruit.

11. moscowbore

Thus implying that the IB is not as hard as A levels. This is nonsense. The IB is much more academically challenging. I have taught both.

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The IB programme is far more academically challenging.

JL48 likes this.
  13. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

When I first started teaching in Spain, most spanish students in the schools I taught at were opting to study at spanish universities.
    In the same schools now, many more of those spanish students opt for universities in the UK so won't be affected by this change.
    In my experience, there are also a fair number of spanish students for whom BBBB wouldn't be too great a hurdle in any case.
    I'm not sure this decision is as significant as the OP seems to think, though time will tell but, even if it led to a drift from A-level to IB Dip, could still leave many schools opting for the (I)GCSEs as preparation for that.

JL48 likes this.
  14. february31st

The one advantage of the British/English curriculum over IB, its cheaper.

No need to send your A Level staff on expensive trips for IB workshops, which are a total waste of time and money.

No need with A Level to employ ToK or CAS coordinators who think their jobs are important.

With A Level teaching staff to student ratios are higher as staff are not wasting their time writing students extended essays.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  15. dumbbells66

you dont have to do this with the IB, you can easily do it in house or online.

easily, and commonly integrated in coordinators roles. if the school has the money and the time then it only adds value, not takes it away.

so what you are saying is you have more kids to teach, and have a lot more marking to do, well i am sorry about that one.

your ignorance of the IB @february31st is quiet astonishing if im honest

desertpirate and ejclibrarian like this.
  16. february31st

I am happy to live in my ignorance of IB, long may it continue.

With A Levels students arn't locked out of some of the more strenuous university courses, something to do with not been able to take the 3 science's at HL as required.

Due to a UK government desire for English private schools to take the more educational demanding IGCSE, particularly Maths and English language from CIE are classed as UK recognised qualifications.

What does IB offer to 16yr olds internationally that is a UK recognised qualification.

Remembering that all British students entering University or high value employment require the basic 7 GCSEs including Maths, Science and English Language by law.

I would recommend that any student with a British passport take IGCSEs.

17. moscowbore

Wow! Is that chip heavy?

IB diploma is a ticket to pretty much any course in any university worldwide, including the UK. I would say it offers a lot.

18. february31st

Whats the value of IB certificate?

19. dumbbells66

whats the value of an A level certificate? your reasoning makes no sense whatsoever

20. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I cannot be bothered to argue with February 31st suffice to say that he making a fool of himself with his unqualified statements.

All the best,

Perce

JL48 and dumbbells66 like this.