1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Elevated Leg

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Apr 7, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I was bitten half a dozen or so times by some horrible insect at the weekend that's subsequently left left me unable to walk around comfortably. I'll spare you the various symptoms my body went through as whatever toxin it through my body, but none of them were pleasant. Most have disappeared now, but I've been left with this infected leg.
    It's given me a far deeper insight into how debillitating disability actually is. The leg, foot and ankle have doubled in size, bright red in some parts and purple in others. I am pleased to say that this evening, the pain has eased off somewhat which is an indication the penicillion is beginning to have an effect and for this, I'm very grateful to Alexander Flemming.
    In the interim, the only way to stop my leg from exploding has been to to keep it elevated, which so far as I'm equipped to do, means sitting sideways to my desk and propping it on a chair. I'm now starting to feel twinges in my back from twisting my torso to read my computer monitor.
    My devoted dog has been by my side throughout my torment, eagerly jumping up whenever I try to stand, perhaps for a wee or to struggle downstairs to get a drink. Standing up appears to cause a sudden flow of liquid into my lower leg, the pain of which is indescribable. The dog, though, thinks at last something interesting is going to happen and races around me, treading on my bare feet and buming into my leg. It seems so cruel to keep shouting at her to leave me alone, but I fear I have no alternative.
    Meanwhile the grass has taken the opportunity to grow over the week and I see some dandelions have appeared, smiling smugly at my misfortune.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Can I have the name of that insect please?

I want to avoid it............................

3. modelmaker

It's Dave. During my inabilty to walk, I haven't been inactive. Instead I've been learning techniques on how to maim mosquitos rather than kill them, so they get a taste of their own medicine. Let them see what it's like to suffer first hand.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Are you on holiday?? Surely not mozzies in England?
    Blimey.

5. modelmaker

It's been quite warm here. I'm guessing it was a mosquito. I can't think of another likely candidate that would burrow into my skin like this b.astard did without my noticing.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Just checking, but are you absolutely sure your dog may not have brought a few fleas into the house? Flea bites can be real basturds.
    Is it itchy at all?

7. inq

inq

Depending upon where you live it could be the Blandford Fly, a small, very nasty insect that lives on the River Stour in Dorset and produces symptoms very similar to those you have mentioned.

8. modelmaker

Thank you ing, but I live in Kent. I've been to Blandford on many occasions and can reccommend the pub in the High Street with a vast selection of good ales on tap. Is it he Anchor?

9. Sounds really grim!
    My eldest son had something similar last year. The doctor did some tests but they never knew which type of insect it was; the most likely candidate was a mozzie.
    Hope you get better soon.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

mmm remind me not to go to thst psrt of the lsnd|!
    i was going to say the horse fly which used to produce similer symptoms in my mother when she was bit by one...........fortuantely i dont go near horses so im not giving the *** a chance!

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Dear modelmaker
    How is your poorly elevated leg now?

12. modelmaker

Thank you for asking, rosievoice. It's slowly on the mend. The swelling has gone down, along with much of the redness. The skin on my foot looks wierd, I guess because the skin had been so stretched and now has nowhere to go. Still very tender though and not up to cutting the grass. I'm due to get more antibiotics today, so hopefully they will see the remainder of the infection off.