1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Educators on BBC Radio Four

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

In an earlier discussion on Professor John Hattie, @lanokia & @JaquesJaquesLiverot linked to previous episodes of this programme. There's a new series on the way and you can hear the first episode here.

It's focussing on 'character lessons':

'The KIPP school movement began 20 years ago in the US. It stands for Knowledge Is Power Program, and the schools focus on two things; academic achievement and building strength of character.

They work in the most disadvantaged districts of New York, Houston and Los Angeles, where children have less than a 1 in 10 chance of completing a college degree, but their focus on character skills like grit, empathy and determination, is seen as the reason why half of KIPP students will graduate from college.

Sarah Montague speaks to KIPP co-founder Dave Levin about how character is taught alongside traditional subjects, visiting KIPP Infinity school in Harlem and hearing from Kings Langley Academy - one of many schools in the UK that are exploring character teaching.'

(BBC.co.uk, 20th November 2015.)

Can anyone say how this is going in Kings Langley Academy? Here's one of their relevant documents. Here's a little more from an organisation to which they subscribe.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cheers... will definitely check that out when I have a bit more time...

3. Vince_Ulam

I'm bumping this first episode, linked in the OP, as Dave Levin is touted in the news as the next Ofsted head.

4. Vince_Ulam

Listening to it again, Levin just said 'it's five x the national average'. Not 'times' but five the letter 'x'. I don't know if this is a common Americanism or if Levin is attempting cool but either way it's the nail in his career coffin as far as I'm concerned.

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Couldn't this be achieved more easily and for free by schools stopping babying their pupils? If schools were allowed to fail children and tell them their work isn't good enough and to do it again they would learn all those things that we used to do at school. It can still be constructive, but the chasing round of pupils to finish work (or do it for them) is the opposite of what's needed. i can see why schools do it. But there's no need for special lessons. PHSE could be abandonded in favour of (gulp) education. Pupils have no respect for it becasue they know it's a lot of nonsense. You don't learn resilience by being taught it, you learn it from high but achieveable expectations and having to keep going until you've done something.