1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Educators - Finland

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

'Since the first international comparisons in 2000, Finland has been at or near the top of league tables for the abilities of its teenagers in reading, maths and science. Experts and politicians flocked to its schools to discover what was leading to its success, and came away with a picture of autonomous schools, children starting school much later than in the UK, and having no tests until their final year.

What developed was seen by many as a myth surrounding Finnish education success, while the reality could be attributed to extensive teacher training, high quality lessons and a culture of literacy. But now, Finland is overhauling the way it teaches through 'phenomenon learning' - periods of the school year where learning isn't confined to single subjects, but students take on a broad topic and decide what, and how, they will learn. From 2016, it will be compulsory for all schools to teach with phenomenon projects, but Helsinki has already adopted it in the capital's schools. Sarah Montague interviews the city's Education Manager Marjo Kyllonen and visits a Helsinki school, to see the changes being made to a world-leading education system.'

(BBC.co.uk, 24th November 2015.)

Listen here and keep an ear open for Cambridge's Prof. Tim Oates as he deftly & economically punctures the myth that Finland's apparent educational success is due to a 'progressive' system.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Missed that programme thanks for sharing @Vince_Ulam, it's very interesting.

@Eureka! I'm sure you will find this interesting too!

3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Thanks Needa for the nudge. Is it "phenomenon learning" that interests you? I'm not sure it does me! It sounds rather contrived. I am simply against any large scale academic style education until post 16, "broad topic" or not.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh dear.... 7 minutes in and the Head is talking about 'ownership of pupils learning'...

Didn't realise the cancer had spread abroad. Has Ofsted been on the phone to her?

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The mid teens should be a time for taking a good portion of ownership and responsibility for "learning" and engagement , but narrowing it to academic style study demonstrates a paucity of vision, and more a desire to sound progressive, rather than actually be so.

7. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

upload_2015-11-26_16-53-49.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    upload_2015-11-26_16-56-41.jpeg

Attached Files: