1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Easter Story

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ROSIEGIRL, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

R.E. with Year 6 - The Easter Story.
    Finding it very hard to get them to focus on the biblical/Christian aspects of this and have found so far that they haven't a clue about it. Mind you, the last 'Easter Assembly' we had made no mention of the religious festival at all so I shouldn't be surprised.
    I've always found it a tricky one to teach to any age group, as the children often focus on the gory aspects of Easter or, as in this case, the chocolate/bunnies/eggs bits.
    Has anyone found a way of doing the proper Easter bit in a school where RE is very low prority and therefore the children's background knowledge by the time they get to Year 6 is pretty much non-existent?
    Seriously tempted to just get hold of a copy of Jesus of Nazareth!

2. ROSIEGIRL

3. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Could you not tell the story, and get the kids to act it out? Old fashioned, I know, but...
    Where will you start the story?

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I think I've seen parts of the DVD in church - does BBC class clips have anything you can use?
    (I bet Marlin - she's so fab - will know [​IMG])

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Looks like you've searched already! [​IMG]
    *waves [​IMG]*

8. My old school used to have a very geriatric VHS copy of this we used on occasion (mainly to cover the events leading up to Easter like you're wanting)... as a semi-amusing side-note, my classroom at the time was an open plan area within the school and we'd regularly get the resident "stormy out and wanderers" coming through having exited their scheduled class and they'd always turn and have a look to see if my lot were doing anything worth <strike>disrupting </strike>joining in with. Had this on the TV as part of the RE unit we were doing and one of the resident crew wanders through, checks to see what we're up to and pipes up helpfully with, "Seen this one - he dies at the end" and continues on his way. Guess we can tick that he's half-got the Easter story then!

9. ROSIEGIRL

Nice one MisterFlibble!
    The thing is that this year 6 are a lively bunch and not the best listeners in the world. I've used drama before and it tends to descend into chaos. I've started from the last supper, with a bit of background - but they haven't got a clue. One thought the 3 wise men were involved in the Easter Story.
    Anyway ... I've been shopping and popped into HMV, where to my shock I found one sole copy of the DVD of Miracle Maker. It might have been waiting just for me! And it was only a fiver.
    There are quite a few clips of it on Youtube, but of course we can't access it in school. So I will add my copy to the RE resources - once y6 have had a look!
    (Is it just our school that struggles with RE? I've taught in a church school before and obviously that was very different.The kids I teach now tend to be quite judgemental about anything religious - presumably reflecting things that are said at home. It's not that I want or expect the kids to be Holy Joes or anything - it's more a sort of lack of any knowledge, even when they've been in school for nearly 7 years.)

10. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We surprised at how few children in school were aware of the occasion on St David's Day. [​IMG]

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not necessarily. I teach in a church school and last year had year 6. We had to write the prayer for Harvest festival and the children asked what on earth God had to do with harvest!

In year 2 this year and I'm assuming no knowledge at all!

12. ROSIEGIRL

I suspect that's the key - assume nothing!