1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Easter 2016 thread

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Rendellers, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

I can't wait any longer to post this! My last day of work is 24 March but paid to end of holiday. I told my head before half term. Don't know why really as he has never done anything to stop the bullying but I do feel a loyalty to my colleagues and my role does need filling. Thankfully the perpetrator has finally left but he eroded so much of my confidence and enjoyment of the job that I don't want to continue any more. Only got 18 years in the pension fund but I'll manage. I looked through loads of the threads on the forum and they were very useful.That's why I opted for Easter and the lighter evenings and I couldn't face the long summer term.
    Anyone else for Easter?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well done. Count the days and make plans!

ScotSEN likes this.
  3. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Afraid not, Xmas 2018 or Easter 2019 for me. Enjoy the run in.

4. swotter

swotter New commenter

Hi
    I am retiring too at Easter and will be paid until 30th April. This is part of the agreement I think it's called Burgundy Book....
    I will miss the children and teaching, but not all the other mountains of stuff, politics, poor working conditions and grumpy staff.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Yeah - but you'll get over it :)

anotherauntsally and lizziescat like this.
  6. dramaqueen2

dramaqueen2 New commenter

Yes - me too! I'm lucky, I still enjoy most of my job but can't face the endless assessment, monitoring, pressure of work any longer. I'm not going to be sitting around though - I've set up a business from home that means I get to spend a lot of time in the garden growing flowers. Most of my colleagues are shocked that I'm going but all are envious.....just one term left!

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not quite. The agreement is that you are available for work until 30th April. The school might be willing to let you retire at Easter and end your contract at the end of the Easter holiday. If you are really lucky, they might even pay you not to turn up for the start of the summer term; is that what your school has promised? But that goes beyond their obligations under the Burgundy Book; they can insist that you work until 30th April.

8. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

I gave in my notice before Autumn half term, more than notice required because of my position. However in my letter I said I would be retiring at Easter specifying the last date of my employment as being the 10 April. This is because 1 have no intention of plodding on until 30 April. Its a bit different if you are retiring. Normally you would be moving to another school.

Anyone else for Easter?

9. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

That's why it's best to go Aug 31st, no arguments with last day of work, 2 months getting paid and enjoy the summer (nice feeling Sept. 1st not having to do those training days and knowing the treadmill starts again). Received my first pay packet this month and looking forward to 2016 and beyond.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, that is what I did this year. The feeling on 1st September was amazing, even though I still liked most of the job.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I could not retire at Easter as I would feel I had left things unfinished. To me it makes more sense to finish the exam groups and then enjoy those few weeks when the timetable is lighter and pressures left to prepare for the final departure. Just my opinion of course.

12. Lindaminh

Lindaminh New commenter

I left last Easter. I had always presumed I would retire at the end of the Summer term but a friend retired from admin in school office the previous Easter and told me how lovely it was to start retirement off in the Summer rather than the Autumn with its darker evenings. I was lucky in that I had dropped from full time to part time the previous September so no longer had my own class but was doing cover work for colleagues so it was easy enough for others to take over and there was no unfinished business. It was great enjoying last May and June to the full so good luck if you can do it without too much angst.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. gregometer

gregometer Occasional commenter

I hope I get one of the jobs abroad I've got interviews for in January. I hate working in a mainstream state school now and it's only just over two years since qualifying! It's just not enjoyable, it's constantly stressful, it eats up every waking minute, you do ludicrous things that have nothing to do with teaching and everything to do with data collection, pupil behaviour is out of control and this is no way to spend your life. If I get an International job, I've already decided to leave at Easter and take the last term off to recover, have a bit of fun and live. Why didn't I get a proper job after my degree and Masters in Computer Science?

I can't believe I feel burnt out after just two years in the job!!

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

15. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

I'm in Primary and my role is not class based so I won't feel there's any unfinished business. I originally meant to last the year but as a UP3 teacher in an Academy I know I won't make it.My research made me think it would be a good time of year to go.

@dramaqueen2 I like the sound of your garden -please let us know how you get on.

16. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Well considering how arrogantly you responded to some members of the TES community in other forums, it is possible that you brought all of this on yourself. Here you are moaning but in the supply forum, you berated someone because they use a supply agency, which they depend on for a living.
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

17. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Funny, I thought the same thing about many of the posters in the supply forum. There seems to be a lot of people there talking about how they are outstandingly great teachers because parents tell them, students tell them, teachers tell them, agencies tell them etc etc etc and moaning about how can this be happening to them. In my long experience, no one ever evaluated any supply teachers in any way whatsoever - there is a lot of porky pies being posted in supply and some people are swallowing them whole. Well done, greg, for shoving their smug faces in their poo-like posts. Sometimes, it's necessary.

18. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Pride comes before a fall.
    Bible verse-Proverbs 16:18

Perhaps you want to reflect on your posts?

19. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Sorry, I'm an atheist, but iI can certainly see how this applies to all those supply teachers boasting endlessly about how outstanding they are. And remember,

A cup is just a puc with the letters in a different order.
    Proverb Book of Barry 15:6

20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Some things are self-evident whether or not you believe.

Matthew 7:1-5
    “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.