1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The e-cigarette - any good?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Mar 20, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I smoke rollies too, but much more than 5 a day. I sometimes wake myself at night with the noise I make breathing - disgraceful state of affairs. I have given up in the past, for 7 years once, but then cheap fags on holiday started me off again.
    Blazer you mentioned something about apps. I take it by that you are meaning the cartidge you attach to the actual device? Can you attach any strength of cartridge to any make of device i.e are they all the same standard sizes?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

It was a joke! Sorry[​IMG]

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh you!!! [​IMG]
    So two responses and one was joke. Not doing so well here am I.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I'm intrigued by these devices as well. I don't want to fork out money if they're no good. Fascinatingly, a couple of years ago as I stood outside a Cumbrian pub in the snow and bitter wind, I was joined by a lady using one of these. She told me she could legally use it indoors but preferred the company of smokers. Now how wierd is that?

5. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Occasional commenter

I knew someone who, having been a heavy smoker for many years, gave up quickly and easily and was months and months into being clean when he bet a large sum on Ireland to beat Romania in the World Cup 1/8th (?) finals. When it went to penalties he couldn't stand it and started again.
    God bless Daniel Timofte.

6. bubbles40

bubbles40 New commenter

i use one when i need it - lot cheaper and stopped the coughing etc . don't miss real ciggies at all or the smell .

7. Yes! Many of us do. And that's one of the main probs!
    I've tried one of the cheapy ecigs, bought from the local garage. It gives a bit of a nicotine hit, and works on the 'something to do with your hands' principle, but I soon started craving REAL smoke, the whole inhalation thing.......

What exactly is it, this addiction? It isn't just nicotine, otherwise gum, patches etc would work.
    It isn't just smoke inhalation, otherwise herbal fags would work. What a mixture of things it is!
    I'm probably addicted to lead etc.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Great [​IMG]
    As to how much we should spend I am really flummoxed - hows about in the region of £10 - £20? My issue is not so much to do with the expense, it's deciding on which blinkin product to buy. Has to be rechargeable and the top-up cartridges need to be easy and cheap to buy online. There's a plethora to choose from. I will spend some time this afternoon browsing and include some links in my next post, so we can discuss.
    Should we buy an identical e-cig or go for different ones?

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

For me it's very complex. I love the ritual of hand rolling. I'm quite focussed on that, it's a significant part of the whole addiction. I'm hoping the e-cig will help me eliminate, at least that aspect of things, from the equation. My will power is very weak. Mr K smokes too, therefore there is always baccie in the house. It would be a lot easier for me if temptation was not so readily at hand. I also chew nicotine gum: at work, social occasions outwith my own house, at the gym, swimming pool, out for walks, when driving, in the supermarket etc.. It's quite insane, my nicotine addiction is the one most irrational, mixed up, crazy thing I do in an otherwise fairly sensible life.

10. modelmaker

That's a difficult one. If we get different ones we may learn nothing, by which you might say yours was brilliant wheras I thought mine was naff and felt cheated. If we get identical ones we could compare notes more easily. On the other hand we might both be buying the wrong one.
    I'll wait for your links and then we can compare our findings before we decide.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Ok, here goes.
    1 http://www.chinazrh.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=T146302
    2 http://www.safield.co.uk/electronic-cigarette-10-b-h-refills-p-1282.html
    3 http://www.lingosbox.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=GBP&products_id=1720
    4 http://www.ecigaretteweb.co.uk/e-cigarette-kits/mini-e-cigarette-kit (this option is slightly more expensive but it's a one stop shop and they do low strength refills)
    5 http://www.prezzybox.com/products/ab/index.aspx?pid=4728 (from what I can gather the gamucci products featured in this link are popular but quite expensive at nearly £40 and they don't appear to do low strength refills)

There are an endless amount of possibilities out there so I've narrowed it down to 5 for starters.

12. modelmaker

This company is based in China. It might be difficult getting an issue resolved if it didn't work.
    This one doesn't look too bad. It says it's B&H flavour which is what I smoke. They are based in Romford so I understand the dialect. Looks like a proper company that's been trading since 2008.
    This one says it has a 110V charger. There are no contact details on the website so I expect it's a USA company or a maybe a Chinese company targetting the USA market.
    This company is based in Cheam. There's a range of strengths and a good range of replacement parts. Starting to go over the budget though. Looked them up on Google streetmap. Seems to be a small shop.
    I get the impression this one is more about style. In the FAQ someone asked about buying a second cigarette for the kit separately. They don't sell replacement batteries. Company is a business run from a farm.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Howdy Pardner, canny believe (but am delighted) you've got the nitty gritty lowdown on this so quickly!! [​IMG]
    Lets give the following a definite body swerve: 1,3 and 5? Yeah?
    So, out of 2 and 4, I'm preferring 4 (due to the range of strengths available), and from your comments I'm thinking you might prefer 2.
    We have a few choices, as I see it:
    • do more research to find out about other products
    • we buy different products (tween 2 and 4) and then compare as we use them
    • we agree to buy the same product initially (either 2 or 4), so one of us makes a compromise in the other's favour, but accept that one of us, or both of us, might want to switch to a different product
    What do you think?

14. modelmaker

It was part of my job when I was a sales engineer. We'd get tens of enquiries for every sale we achieved, most of them time-wasters and bull merchants. I had to develop ways of sussing them out quickly and check on the viability of their having the £20K or so the equipment we sold cost. You'd be surprised what I discovered about some of them.
    Anyway, I'm not overly fussed by 2. The only virtue it seems to have is that it says it tastes like a B&H, but I've been mislead in the past. A guy in a pub once sold me a packet of "B&H" fags for half price. Nearly scorched my throat, and I can tell you I was glad when they were all gone...
    Sooner or later you've got to bite the bullet so I say lets go for No 4.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes.
    Hooray!
    I will order tonight. Can/will you?
    You do realise that we can have no more real ciggies once we receive our e-cigs? Eeek!
    Slightly scared?

16. That is because we DO!
    I really enjoy it. It would be a whole lot easier to stop if I didn't. And as there is no stigma attached to smoking in Germany (I can still smoke in pubs and at work) it makes it even more difficult.
    Never tried an eciggie, kibosh. I have read a lot about it and the reviews weren't great - particularly as no studies have been done into the long term effects. However, they can't be more unhealthy than smoking anyway, can they?
    I am not sure it would work for me - the "ceremony" of lighting up, rolling the ciggie (I smoke rollies sometimes too, and even if smoking filters, I roll it between my fingers) would all be missing. I am not convinced rolling something hard like looks like a pen would give me the same kick.
    Whether they work or not, I don't know. Perhaps it really depends on the person - the patch, for example, never worked for me nor for my ex. It did for a couple of friends.

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well I did look it up in Wiki today and came to the exact same conclusion as yourself: they can be no worse than actually smoking.
    Simples. Smoke your e-cig and roll something malleable tween you fingers . . . . a few things spring to mind here, but [​IMG]
    Why don't you join us on our e-ciggie highway to fresher breath, unstained fingers, silent lungs etc.? Come on, you know you want to . . . . .I'm sure you'll put up a few terribly logical and well meaning arguments NOT to first, but hey, join in.
    Coalwoman - you are more than welcome to join in too - more the merrier. [​IMG]

18. I can just see me, in our smoking room, with an 85% male workforce, smoking an eciggie. I would never live it down!
    Cold turkey would be less painful!

19. Guffaw - and especially if I mentioned I needed something manable to roll between my fingers!

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That sounds like a very handy skill set MM. Even more so nowadays when the front end of websites can be all bells and whistles that only serve to provide glossy marketing for a dodgy (or even non-existent) business practice.