1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The dreaded midge bite!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, May 26, 2018.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

My family and I have been sat out enjoying the gorgeous weather while we can. Unfortunately we’ve all been bitten by the midges and I’m itchy everywhere!

Does anyone have any good home made remedies or over the counter medicine they could recommend?

Thank you
    B

bevdex likes this.
  2. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Sudocrem - the stuff you put on babies' bottoms. 1 tub lasts for ever.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

No remedy, but for future prevention try Lifesystems Expedition Plus insect repellent.

I used it for 5 days living in tent in a remote part of Scotland and had no trouble with midges. Other guys were wearing hats with nets on and trying to swat the beasties off.

bevdex, needabreak and Bonnie23 like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If the bites bother you, take some antihistamine, which these days can be a bit of a customised experience. You just need to ask in the pharmacy and they'll recommend one to suit you.
    Many of the stronger ones come with side effects but if the bites really bother you it might be worth it.

I've read quite a lot of supposed science stating that your propensity to be bitten can be affected by a number of variables-blood type, onion consumption, pregnancy, menstruation, colour of clothing, amount of sweat present, blood pressure, place of birth. Who knows. One thing is for sure though, and that is that some people get bitten more than others (and I am most definitely one of them.)

nizebaby likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ooh - will this work on sandflies ? Bad experience in Tanzania once -my husband not me- and now we have to vet places in advance ...

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not sure. Info about their products here:

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents

Some of their stuff contains a chemical called DEET, which is best avoided in high concentrations with children. I don't use it often enough to worry about overexposure.

minnie me likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Smidge is a good product. I can only get it online but it got us round the west coast of Scotland . Antihystamines help of course and don't ignore bad bites - they can get infected and be really serious so if the bite area begins to grow and spread go to the doc.

8. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've lived in Scotland most of my life and have never been bitten by a midge, but my granddad swore that smoking a pipe kept them away.
    Any help..?

;-)

captain scarlet likes this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

T tree oil helps a bit, as does a bicarb paste.
    My mother always used vinegar which I've also found helps a bit.
    Aloe Vera plant can help reduce any lumps.
    Most people have something in their home they can try.

10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Eurax is the answer.

Put it on as soon as you are bitten. .I speak as someone who has had 47 horribly itchy pizza-like sandfly bites on one lower leg.

bevdex likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Piriton tablets from the pharmacy.

And I always buy the strongest possible repellent - generally I go for tropical strength Jungle Formula, which does have a lot of Deet in it. Makes your lips go numb and melts plastic, so I dread to think what it does to my skin - but it is the only thing which keeps midges away from me. Even then, a few stray ones get in, but I can live with that, after being a midge banquet on my first visit to Scotland many years ago. I counted the bites; 23 on one arm, 18 on the other, 36 on one leg, 19 on my neck, etc, etc. I thought I had some dreadful disease!!

12. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

Having had to combat mosquitos in warmer places than Scotland, I had to resign myself to using DEET as the only thing that really worked. It is nasty stuff though, even takes off nail varnish....If you can find something else that works for you then do. I seem to remember Avon's Skin So Soft body oil spray being recommended.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have variously used antihistamine cream, ammonia sticks (liquid in a tube with applicator) and little clicky electric spark things. Which works depends on what has bitten you. I bought the three things years ago from Boots in a 3 for 2 offer which is how we discovered there's no one best solution for all bites, it also seems to differ between people too.

chelsea2 and Bonnie23 like this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Slight digression re Scottish midges, there's a website that claims to predict the likelihood and severity of midges in Scotland, bit like a weather forecast. Don't know how reliable it is.

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

lindenlea, kibosh and Bonnie23 like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes - but I never quite trusted it, and the results of failure were too awful to contemplate. So it's Deet for me, every time.

nizebaby likes this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But did you ever venture into the heather on balmy summer evenings?

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Don't buy Piriton. It's an expensive waste of money. Buy the sane generic anti-histamine for a fraction of the price. Loratidine and cetirizine are both good, modern and Loratidine shouldn't make you drowsy. The Benadryl fast acting one is brilliant but expensive (not yet available as a generic) and it makes me drowsydrow I am very susceptible. I've never found topical antihistamines any good but the ammonia sticks are ok if you use thth immediately. I've never tried an insect repellant that didn't work so I just get the cheapest now. I'm allergic to all their smells though....

chelsea2 and Bonnie23 like this.
  18. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

No1 son went on a World Challenge expedition in the edge of the amazon rainforest. Some of his group used avon skin so soft and some used DEET.
    The DEET users got mosquito'ed half to death the avon chaps had hardly a bite between them.

The special forces chaps at Hereford are also said to favour the avon lady over DEET too... apparently it is choc-full with limonene which gives it its insect repellent nature. The soft moisturised skin is just an added bnus!

19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Thanks for the tips so far. We got eaten alive by midges a couple of years ago in Snowdonia. A glorious day spoilt by them as we had to abandon a walk and almost ran back to the car. Only to find my sisters husband had left his camera behind where we had earlier been sitting. No one volunteered to go back with him to retrieve it. We're meant to going back to the same area this summer.

cariadwch and Bonnie23 like this.
  20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

:eek: Perhaps they are more laid back on the east coast - or go west to feed?

They were a constant presence around our highland village. At their worst they come out of the hedges and grass in early calm evenings in clouds and drive people bonkers. The children are driven from football in the garden and come in to the house slapping and complaining - and bringing the midges in with them! They’ve spoiled many a fishing expedition and turned gardening from a chore to a test of endurance!

Smoke does work, but clouds of it, which of course makes life as unpleasant as midges. A breeze is the only sure thing to keep them off.

Bonnie23 likes this.