1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Downton Abbey film

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Feb 21, 2020.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I love the series and have seen them all but my husband never watched it,therefore,I did not go to see it when it was on at the cinema. I knew it would be available to rent on Prime or BT box at some point and I would treat myself to it then.
    I've just finished watching it and I'm so glad we did not spend over £20 on going to see it at the cinema!

Is it just me or is it a bit rubbish?

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is for Americans. (No I haven't seen it, nor any of the series. I read about it when it was about to start and thought "another social history whitewash". Posh people exploiting everybody else as usual.)

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It washed over me in a pleasant way. Mr D has never watched Downton, but he took me under sufferance.
    He didn't dislike it. :)

Jesmond12 likes this.
  4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Watched it last night. The costumes were good and the house is lovely but the events in the plot were so predictable it just got silly. It's definitely a 'sit at home and watch it on TV with a cup of tea and a biscuit' film, not one worth paying cinema prices to watch.

catmother likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

A slightly shorter version would have made a decent Christmas special but a whole film? A decent script seemed to be lacking and, to me,it was as if the actors were just going through the motion.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I thought it was just like a Christmas special - but I loved it. Yes, it was predictable and ridiculously far-fetched, but it was such an easy-watch, feelgood film - I loved every minute. And I've heard a rumour that they've already started Downton Abbey 2!

Marshall likes this.
  7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Sorry. I watched Downton once (under wifely compulsion) and once was enough.
    I'd rather go to China and lick doorknobs than watch that show again or this movie.

mothorchid likes this.
  8. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

His Lordship has a new frocks drama about to come to a TV screen near you.

9. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

I enjoyed the film. Went to see it on recommendation from a friend.

Enjoyed watching the first tv series, but stopped watching soon after the start of the second series as the story lines were too far fetched.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I never watched the series on TV but I have bought the DVD set and I enjoy it - it's easy watching and no brain need!

The film was the same.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The series are great and I loved watching them. However,I was expecting more from a full length movie as there were better storylines in the actual series.

12. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Saw this film at the cinema. It was ok but a bit silly in my opinion. Yes, maybe ok to watch at home. Incidentally Catmother, your cinema prices seem very expensive. Round here we can see a film on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at Vue for £4.99 each or only £4.99 for the two of us with a Meercat Movie voucher. We are retired and go the cinema often at those prices!

13. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

My husband and I loved the series. The film was nothing like as good but offered us a nostalgic hour or two so we still enjoyed it. Lucky for us, we saw it on a Sunday at our local with a set fee of £3.50 each. I only go to the extortionate blockbuster cineplexes with my son to see the latest Marvel. Grit my teeth at the cost!

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I watched a few episodes of the TV series but wasn't struck. Someone recommended the film and I went on my own when MrA was away one night. Quite entertaining.