1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Do's & Dont's of Teacher Training Interviews

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ParkerNorf80, Oct 19, 2017.

1. ParkerNorf80

ParkerNorf80 New commenter

Hopefully in the next month or so I will be in a position of attending an interview or 2.

Based on experiences, would any be able to share any positives that went down well with panels or things that if they had the interview opportunity again, they would do differently?

What I bring in experience, I possibly lack in confidence, so any pointers will be a great help.

Thanks for reading.

2. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Do show enthusiasm and openness to learn.

Don't come across as an arrogant maverick.

ParkerNorf80 and pepper5 like this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Don't let on that you don't know how to use an apostrophe...

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  4. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

:(

5. ParkerNorf80

ParkerNorf80 New commenter

Proof reading. Thanks.

6. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Take the price label off the bottom of your new shoes.... Scundered when I realised halfway through the interview. Nearly 20 years later and still remember.

Pomz likes this.
  7. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Be yourself - teachers with personality are better than robots.

Be reflective - your interview lesson won't be perfect (because you haven't been trained yet), be prepared to state what YOU think went well and what YOU think you could do better. Be prepared to hear their ideas too and accept them.

Educational awareness - Read and have an understanding of current issues and 'hot topics' in your sector/subject. Any decent newspaper (or TES) will have an education section.

Subject knowledge - You may be asked to complete a checklist of a specification/curriculum and asked to RAG your knowledge.

Literacy/Numeracy - You may be asked to complete a practice test. If you have yours booked/completed before your interview that's a bonus.