1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Doggy Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Aug 17, 2007.

1. May2

May2 Established commenter

Ah I have just managed to track this thread down again!

I just wondered if any of you dog experts have any suggestions opinions on my dogs drinking habits, or lack of. I have an 8 1/2 month old Retriever which I have had since nearly 8 weeks old and I think he has probably only drunk from his water bowl about 4 times in all this time. and that is with me trying to entice him by splashing around in his bowl. Today he drank 3 mouthfuls from my cupped hands. He has played with ice cubes having fun throwing them around the room. We have put them in his bowl to entice him to fish them out but no luck. It was hot at the weekend but he didn't drink and was actually sick once possibly from the heat.

I feed him dried food which I am now putting more water with probably about half a pint twice a day, is this enough for him? The only water he willingly drinks is from any puddle or from an old barrel we have in the garden which is now almost dry and pretty yucky. If I water pots he tries to lick up the water before it soaks in and licks the ground when it drips through the hanging basket.

He is a very licky dog and will lick off fingers. He always looks up for some of husbands beer and will lick some from his fingers but even some beer in his bowl he wasn't interested in. His water bowl is metal the same as his food bowl which he eats from happily.

I just wanted to check that I didn't need to worry. He is lively, eats well enough and seems healthy .

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I don't know about dogs but my cat wont drink from her bowl either. She either jumps up to the sink to drink from the tap or drinks from a floor level bird bath we have outside. My other cat only drank from a neighbour's pond. As long as you keep outside water sources topped up and clean them out occasionally I don't think this is a problem. Have you tried a different bowl? Could the metal one be changing the taste of the water. I think the chlorine in water puts animals off.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Watch this stupid mutt eat a lime.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wslw5D9avoU]

5. thistledoo

thistledoo Senior commenter

Our cat was the same, always begging at the tap! As he was adopted and hadn't had a cat since childhood - it took me awhile to adjust and not worry!

I think you're right Mary, the smell/ taste of chlorine does put many animals off. My Mum used to fill bottles of water and leave them in the fridge and fill all the animals water bowls with that... she said it didn't smell or taste of chlorine once it had been out of the tap for awhile. She would leave the bowl on the side to 'warm up' slightly! If she didn't have enough 'bottled' she would run the tap for ages to make sure it was 'fresh' water and not sat in the pipes for ages or mixed with warm water!

6. thistledoo

No one has posted for a long time and I need distraction!

Anyone else have a dog that tries to escape from the garden? Our 'young lady' has been very naughty. Any gap in the hedge and she was through into the neighbours. We have spent a great deal of time putting up picket fencing against the well-established privet, plus solid 6ft fencing along the rest.

She also eats (or tries to), any bricks, cement, plaster, stones that she finds. The neighbours are knocking down outbuildings and some of the debris ends up in our garden. I sweep, shift pots and still she finds bits to chew. She will crumble and eat what she can. Needless to say, we have to watch her very carefully. She's a sly minx though - she knows if you are distracted, next thing she is running away and you just know she has something she shouldn't have! Pebbles and ornamental stones are also 'fair game'! They are all now removed or covered up with slabs.

(Apologies for the apostrophe in 'Mothers!' in earlier post - I know some like everything to be exactly as it should be... I'm usually in a rush... and that's when I make mistakes!)

7. My dog used to spend ages digging stones out of river beds, gnawing at them for a minute and then moving onto the next one.

8. My dog used to spend ages digging stones out of river beds, gnawing at them for a minute and then moving onto the next one.

Actually eating stones/rubble is either a teething thing or a dietary deficiency of some kind.

9. thistledoo

A dietary deficiency? Can't be... my o/h plans her diet meticulously... he researched all the dog foods and we can't give her... the list is endless. Treats are purely doggy stuff and have to be healthy... omg... is she absorbing all the nutrients? I thought maybe it was the smell as she roots around, searching and then once she has found her prize, off she runs. She easily gives them up if there is a treat offered.

She's 10 months now, massive, thick coat and very strong and has a full mouth of pearly whites.

Tell me not to worry... aaahhhg! (And there she is,my stone-munching pooch, not a care, laid full out on her back- paws in the air.)

10. Ten months - could just be sore gums from new teeth. I think they like to round off the sharp new edges on stones. Does she eat them or just chew and play?

11. marymoocow

Is it something to do with retrievers? My neighbour had a lab that chewed everything when it was young. One day they came home to find a huge hole in the partition wall. She had eaten the wall paper then eaten the plaster!

12. thistledoo

She will crumble any building material or garden 'stuff' that crumbles and eat it, stones she will gnaw at also play with them, throwing/ flipping them up in the air.

You might be right, Airy - might be something to do with her teeth. I don't think it is her diet.

Mary, I know that many Lab pups are very naughty and chew/ destroy household items until they are well into their 2nd year. I had a friend in tears because her lab pup chewed every cupboard in her new kitchen. We haven't given our golden the chance. We don't leave her long on her own, tire her out if we go out and leave her with a bone type thing with marrow to get out. I've read the retrievers love to find stones and pebbles...

She does jump up at the kitchen sides, though that is happening less and less. If I go upstairs and she is in the kitchen, I hear her up at the kitchen sink.

Our other golden was nothing like this one and she learned 'no' very fast! There was no jumping up at the kitchen sides!

The deterrent that works the best is a small drinks bottle filled with water, we only have to lift it or show it her and she stops doing whatever she shouldn't be doing.

13. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

What does she think the water bottle is going to do to her?

14. marymoocow

I imagine they squirt water at her. We used a spray bottle with my cat to stop her doing naughty things and now you only have to lift the bottle, even though she hasn't been squirted for 2 years! It wouldn't work with my friends labs as they love water and would just see it as a game to catch the water.

15. katycustard

Thanks Mary, I only asked because in two weeks we collect our puppy!

16. thistledoo

Hi and sorry didn't answer, trying to get finished in the garden plus a Year 7 exam to write!

We use a small drinks bottle and fill it with water and squirt her if she jumps up at the kitchen sides or tries to pull up the kitchen flooring in the corners. We tell her 'no!' at the same time... it is a good deterrent and she knows not to do whatever she's doing. Now, like Mary, we only have to pick it up or leave it in the corner where she is digging up the 'lino' and it works to put her off.

In the garden with the hosepipe - different story, she loves it. I have put it on 'full power' when she has disappeared into bushes to dig. It stops her but she comes out to play.

Wish you all the best with your puppy, Katy, you should have some good enough weather to toilet train! We had snow for weeks when we brought ours home. She just disappeared up to her neck!

17. katycustard

Thanks for the explanation thistledoo. I shall let you know how we get on!

18. thistledoo

Nearly 'puppy time', Katy... when do you pick him/ her up? What breed/ what is he/ she?!

Ours has just finished her first season, so we will be taking her to be spayed soon. It has changed her... she seems a bit more 'mature', less daft 'puppyish' or am I imagining it?!

19. katycustard

We get her this time next week! She's a tiny bundle of curly hair! A cross between a Cavalier King Charles and a miniature poodle, a cavapoo, although I think they could have come up with a better name for her breed!

20. thistledoo

How lovely! We used to look after a friend's King Charles, he was very sweet and loved his Weetabix in a morning.Bet you can't wait!

I came home tonight to find my son's exam date booklet in shreds on the kitchen side. Our young lady had been up to her tricks searching, pulling and taking papers off the side whilst my husband took son to college. I had 'hidden' the booklet and pushed it alongside the printer. Printer was askew... The window cleaners had been, perhaps that upset her as well.

When my o/h took my son to his girlfriend's tonight, the dog raced to the window as they went to the door, she watched them go and did quite a bit of whining. Then she settled and waited. She has always done the snatching off the kitchen sides... even if we go upstairs.

I think we are going to have to do some 'pretending to go out'.