1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Doggy Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Aug 17, 2007.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love my boys. We have two white rescue lurchers. They bound around like Zebedee when we are in the forest and everyone on the field stops to watch when they start chasing crows. They combine that with total laziness at home and are always asleep on the sofa with one resting his head on the other. I wouldn't be without them.

2. I think my dog's is more like Homer's - stuck on that doughnut drool. He does look a bit like Santa's Little Helper though!

3. My choc lab pup loves socks. He's even started started trying to pull them off our feet.

If I sit on the floor, he likes to throw himself on me, shoulder first, then puts his legs in the air for tummy tickles. Awwwww.

Dogs are the best pets.

4. Mangleworzle - I have a cairn too, aren't they fab, had my first cairn when I was 12

5. Back from the bi monthly trip to the doggie hairdressers yesterday this afternoon and our two still smell like french courtesans. What is it with doggy scent? I forgot to ask them not to use it. The dogs smell OK as they are as a rule (unless wet).
    Wouldn't be without 'em they are our kids and traeted as such.

6. my four boxers are as made as they come,none of them have any concept of their body size or of halitosis!!

They are convinced they are pugs and should be sat on my lap,not amusing when i'm having a kip on the sofa and awake to find myself pinned down by all four!

love em to bits though

7. impis

impis New commenter

Kas78 - I am madly jealous.

Ben is our second boxer, [first one was a white] and my daughter had 2 [ben's parents]. Hubby keeps saying 'No more dogs' but the house is just awful without one. I'd have loved to have had 4 boxers. I used to have 2 dogs - little mongrels, but they were just as lovely.

Miss D - boxers ADORE chilren, but they are far to strong to be walked by them, IMO. They are solid muscle, and far too interested in whats going on around them to take much notice of the person at the other end of the lead. [I say this even tho Ben walks beautifully on the lead - as i know that as soon as anything remotely interesting comes along - such as a cat or a dog - he'll make a bolt for them]

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

pinkfizz this is our first cairn, we got her when jnr.M was little on the recommendation of a friend who had one for his two boys. She really is a fantastic dog, soft and fluffy when she needs to be and fiercely defending the pack (us) when she thinks she needs to. Mainly she has no interest in other dogs at all, unless one shows her some attention when a quick snarl and lip curl makes dogs twice her height retreat. If we were being attacked by a pack of lions, she'd be out there leading the charge.

Having said that the most exciting thing in her world is someone new coming to the house, she does the full-on ecstacy thing and brings a little gift she picks up, discarded sock, empty bottle, slipper etc.

We get rabbits in the garden that she shows no interest in, she knows they can run faster than her, but she spends half her life chasing squirrels in trees (from the ground!) that somehow she seems to think she will catch one day.

9. Awww, I'm jealous of all of you! I really want a dog but we both work full time - how do others here cope with full time work and a dog? Do the dogs mind? Or is there someone at home with yours?

10. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

this thread is hilarious....I love pet stories!!

11. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Good, another ******' cat one has just started

12. Mine has just starting peeing in the house and I am not sure why. He is 6mths old and gets out of the kitchen and runs upstairs (we live in a 3 storey house) and pees. Any suggestions?

13. I just bathed puppy in Molton Brown shampoo (how pampered is that?). He smells divine now he's dried out. He ran round the house shaking over everything just to teach us a lesson afterwards.

14. lol no Miss D,no army of children, just a well trained oh!! hehe

To be fair, we do a lot of mental training with them and work in our long garden so they actually don't require a long walk every day. With my part time non teacher hat on I'm a dog trainer and my lot are part time teaching dogs so they get to work with lots of dogs at the weekend and teach them how to behave, you'd never think it of a boxer eh!!!

Agree impis about the lovely walking except when a cat or squirrel appears though, it takes a firm hand to keep hold then.

15. Tilly, is it when you go out or when you're indoors? Have you been stressed or particularly tired or busy from about the time it started? What breed is your little pup? and is he allowed on the bed usually?

16. He is a Westie and has been crate trained with no problems. It is almost like it is a game to him, he runs past you up the stairs, pees and runs down again. He doesn't go on beds, just the carpet! I am using that odor stuff so it removes his scent but he doesn't return the usual spot he just does whereever! Driving me bonkers and finding I am having to keep downstairs all the time because there is laminate there. Our living room is on the middle floor, if that makes sense.

17. It is when we are in by the way, when we are out he is shut in the kitchen and never does any peeing etc, same as night time, he stays in the kitchen and never does a thing.

18. yep, ok i'm assuming he still has all his bits and do you pick him up and cuddle him and stuff? does he sit on the sofa iwth you?

19. What a coincidence! I came on here to post a problem about my dog - and found this thread!
    I've just cleaned up a huge, smelly poo-ey mess - yet again. Miss Molly - a beautiful, 6 months old boxer - seems unable to grasp the concept of "toilet training". It's really driving me nuts. I was out most of today so she was alone (apart from the cat who shares her basket) but I left her with the outside door wide open so she could get out - but she prefers to "do it" inside. I'm getting really desperate. Any suggestions/ideas would be really welcome.
    ps This is the second boxer we've had and they truly are adorable. Brilliant with children (but thick!)

20. crate training annapops, probably the easiest thing, get them off e-bay, much cheaper