1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Doggy Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

There's been a few cat threads here recently, so I think it's time to redress the balance and say how great dogs are.

Mrs. M has been in Ireland for a week visiting her hugely extended family and returned tonight.

Our dog (cairn terrier) has behaved in ways we have never seen before due to extreme joy at her return. After the usual jumping up and manic tail-wagging, she positioned herself in the middle of the carpet and wriggled all over the living room on her back, with the occasional ecstatic yap and contended growl-type noises. She has since tried to wash Mrs. M wherever she can until pushed away (I do love her, but doggy slobber can be too much) and has sat for the last hour with her chin on Mrs.M's foot pausing only to sigh contentedly.

I've posted this before, but this is the most wonderful doggy site I've ever come across:
    http://www.nanceestar.com/DogHumor.html

2. Mangleworzle

There's been a few cat threads here recently, so I think it's time to redress the balance and say how great dogs are.

Mrs. M has been in Ireland for a week visiting her hugely extended family and returned tonight.

Our dog (cairn terrier) has behaved in ways we have never seen before due to extreme joy at her return. After the usual jumping up and manic tail-wagging, she positioned herself in the middle of the carpet and wriggled all over the living room on her back, with the occasional ecstatic yap and contended growl-type noises. She has since tried to wash Mrs. M wherever she can until pushed away (I do love her, but doggy slobber can be too much) and has sat for the last hour with her chin on Mrs.M's foot pausing only to sigh contentedly.

I've posted this before, but this is the most wonderful doggy site I've ever come across:
    http://www.nanceestar.com/DogHumor.html

3. impis

impis New commenter

Dogs are real characters, aren't they!?

Mine - well, I spent many hours with him from the day he was born - and he helped to save me from the depths of depression. He's very bright [for a boxer] and will do anything for a treat. He rings a bell to be let out, shows you which cupboard to go to, to get his treats, and is able to do a variety of poses, on command. At home he is VERY well behaved, now that he's finally grown up and doesn't eat the house whenever he's alone.

What he cannot do, sadly, is behave in front of a dog trainer, and other dogs. He just wants to play.

YOu can see him here: http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/impis/PICT0190.jpg

4. Lovely dog Impis.

I'm not speaking to either of mine at the moment as they rolled in fox poo and despite bathing them the stink is lingering.

They put it behind their ears and on their necks like perfume.

bloomin' mutts.

5. two labs, one black ,one choc. love them to bits, great company

6. my jack russell rolls in poo whenever he gets the chance.
    Love him loads though - he is both incredibly clever and brain numbingly stoopid at the same time!

7. lol - does anyone elses dog bring things to them when they get home. H always grabs the nearest toy/ shoe/ tampon out of handbag(!) and parades around to greet people - doesn't let us touch or play with though. He's done it since he was a baby.

8. impis

impis New commenter

My boxer, Ben does that - kind of. When visitors come they are given 'in your face' greetings - he gets as clost to them as he possibly can, licking as much of them as he can reach, and his body contorting as he wags himself silly. Once he's calmed down, he goes over to his toy box and chooses a toy. He then teases the visitor with the toy - pushing it into their laps, but never letting go and never letting them have it. [unless told to 'leave' firmly by me]

At the end of term, I hosted a bbq here. A couple of my colleagues are a bit nervous of dogs, so he was kept in his crate. He wagged so hard, all day, that he actually injured his tail, [yes he has a tail!] banging it on the side of his crate. We had to visit the vets lete that night as he couldnt sit down without yelping. Cost me over £100 - but I couldn't bear that he was hurting, so was worth it.

9. lol - he saves it for special occasions - like my nan visiting or my teenage son's mates! :0I

We are more careful with them now - but he has grabbed a pair of my knickers from the washing basket instead!

10. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Seems Cats are more popular than Canines. Or perhaps dog owners are over endowed with common sense?

Shifter, three cavalier King Charles Spaniels

11. I have a black cocker spaniel, 8 months old and so like a baby..she loves her cuddles and as others have said, gets toys, teases you with them but will not let them go!

12. we had a soft haired wheaton once - beautiful looking thing but spent hours just stood staring at walls!

13. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

We love our Cavs, wouldn't be without them, we nearly had another, a playmate for the youngest

14. Must admit my dog's pretty thick too. On our recent holiday in Cornwall, we couldn't let him off his lead a lot of the time as there were too many sheer drops. I could imagine the headlines "Spaniel leaps 100ft off Cornwall cliff". He also has NO road sense at all. I wonder whether you can teach that?

As for shoes, he's a nightmare. We often find them in the garden, and he actually buried one of my sister in law's shoes, never to be found again. She was pretty peed off!! He loves socks too, but isn't allowed them anymore since destroying so many pairs!

The thing my dog is best at, however, is embarrassing me. When on a beach, he will be the dog who runs over to a family and pees up their picnic hamper. He weed on a fisherman whilst on a day out recently. In Cornwall, he ran onto the "no dogs" beach, did a **** and ran back again (I must admit, I found that quite funny - although not the being sneered at by all the people when I had to pick it up!) He is a MASSIVE pain in the backside, but I love him dearly and wouldn't change him for the world!! There is a 6 month old springer in our local paper this week needing a home. I would have him in a shot.

15. peatles - Monty is a black cocker too!! Beautiful, aren't they?

16. Ah, it's a good name. I actually met my Monty's brother at the local park recently.... and he was called Monty!!! How weird!

17. Mangleworzle

When we had our cairn as a puppy she was running around the garden occasionally tripping up over her own feet until she did it on a little slope above a small pond we had. She tumbled down head over heels and plop into the pond.

Much panic and jnr.M ran over and rescued her, picked her up and within about a minute the trauma had caused her to fall asleep in his hands - the bond was cemented.

18. I think all Labs are stupid - mine smashes head first into the kitchen door whenever he hears the fridge opening. If I could hear his thoughts I'm sure it would just be "food food food food - mm smells disgusting better eat/roll on that - food food food food - ahh, mud, now where can I find a person dressed in white -food food food food...."

19. When I talk to Monty I always think of that episode of the Simpsons where you hear what Santa's Little Helper hears when humans talk to him. It's just "Blah, blah, blah dinner, blah, blah, blah, walk" I bet that's exactly what Monty hears, even though he really looks like he's trying to understand me.

20. I have a Westie who has a thing about bras.