1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The difference between drama and acting...

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by bplanky, Apr 14, 2008.

1. i think the differences are teaching the art of acting and the dramatic forms and structures of drama.

i guess?

2. i think drama is teaching skills that you can use in everyday life such as team work, communication, confidence etc whereas Acting is teaching the technique to create a believeable representation on stage?!

i know certainly in my school my junior courses are designed for teaching skills as i know not all will pick drama for Standard Grade so i would like to them leave Drama and be able to go for an interview and communicate and be confident.

3. I totally agree MIM although i have personal venom for the whole drama as a communication, team work thing.

I know it's all true - but i have been told (not asked) by our PSHE dept that from sept Drama will work alongside PSHE SOW AT ALL TIMES!

My current arguement is - no way - you do your thing, and let me do my thing! i am happy to highlight section where our content will strengthen each others - but be it on MY terms - thankyou!

yes i know! I having a diva strop! :)

4. Oh totally BP; they work along side but each to their own. I've just started Wicked with my S1 and they are relating it back to a bullying unit they did in PSE in Oct. but yes diva strop till they stop!

5. hurrah! my handbag is clutched to my chest!

i'm going to be doing some rent stuff with my year 9's - and looking forward immensley!

if that diesn't tick a whole load of PSHE stuff - what will!

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Gawd - the drama as therapy thing.

Hate it.

7. pshe and drama. ahhh they happily sit alongside each other in a SLT "useless subject" kind of way (sorry for the cynicism!!) but be strong BPlanky - keep the handbag to your chest and stick to the discrete subject until someone attaches a grenade to you!

as for...drama is about experimentation, exploration and process and then performing from that process. Acting is about performing skills. I think!

8. awwww! the support from all you guys is lovely! hee hee!

I will pioneer the way for all of us!

LET US DO DRAMA!!!!!

:)

you beautiful people!

9. It's an odd question; it's a bit like asking what is the difference between a motorcar and driving. The two don't sit well together as alternatives. There is a tendency amongst drama teachers to use personal subjective definitions ie 'I think drama is .... ' Put ten drama teachers together and you will probably get ten different definitions of drama. I think you might be falling into this trap. This is clearly nonsense, you can't have multiple personal definitions of something like drama.
    Drama is an art form that started with the Greeks; it has its own body of dramatic literature which relate to playscripts, modes of operation, theories, criticism etc. Acting is the performance of drama usually but not, always, in a performance space or medium.
    Drama teachers often confuse the uses to which drama is put with definitions of it - which is the origin of the subjective definitions that drama teachers are so fond of. Drama normally manifests itself in performance on the stage, film, television and radio. But drama can also be used as an educational tool. You might even want to use drama to develop general social confidence with students or to help with mentally ill individuals ie 'Psychodrama'. There are lots of uses to which drama is put. The definition of drama does not alter but the usage does.

10. (does sharp intake of breath sound)
    Or was that theatre? Is theatre organised Drama? What had the Egyptians been doing before the Greeks, then? Most people refer to Greek Theatre, not Greek Drama.
    Why not? You could probably have multiple definition of PE. Or Music. Or Dance. Or History. Or....
    And Psychodrama is not for "mentally ill individuals". Whatever they are.

11. 'Most people refer to Greek Theatre, not Greek Drama.'
    I don't know who 'most people' are. If you google 'Greek Drama' and 'Greek Theatre' you get the same thing. I don't know what the Egyptians did but European Drama as we know it started with the Greeks. The difference is a matter of semantics.
    "mentally ill individuals". Sorry, clumsy phrase. I meant to say that it is a therapeutic use of drama.
    With a definition there is an assumption that it is objective and shared; that is why we define things so that we have a common understanding. If everyone has their own private definition it is a tower of Babel; nobody really understands anyone else and confusion reigns.
    It is only in the strange backwater of UK drama teaching that there is a confusing insistence by some that there is a significant and important difference between 'drama' and 'theatre'. The rest of the world does not have this problem. I teach drama. I watch drama all the time on the telly and on films, I certainly don't watch theatre in the cinema (unless you count the recent production of 'Frankenstein' streamed to my local cinema courtesy of NT live in which case I was watching 'live' theatre in the cinema.). But I do watch drama in my local theatre. I've even done drama in a theatre. I even listen to drama on the radio. When there were DVD hire shops I used to go to the 'drama' section. Was I mistaken, should I have gone to the theatre section? Probably not.

12. Hi Laura

Yes we do teach Stanislavski etc both as a technique and as a practitioner. I also prepare students for LAMDA examination and the techniques are taught here as well. The LAMDA Medal syllabus for Verse and Prose may be worth a look for you as they insist that students understand the physiology of voice and breathing.
    In an Identity Unit the character relating is very useful and using personal experience (however limited) at KS4 is hard going at times but useful.
    Good Luck with MA dissertation. I will be on the same trail this time next year
    Fiona